doors on a 1949 chevy pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

doors on a 1949 chevy pickup

can someone tell me why my doors sticks out at the bottom on my 49 pickup. it is flush with the cab (front and back) all the way down to about 4-6" from the bottom. any suggestions please help here are some pics that might help with an answer thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	62092   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	62093   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	62094   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	62095   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	62096  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM

In another thread, Martin said you may have patch panels that were installed too far in. That may be true. Also, I'd check the condition of the flange around the lower part of your door. Sometimes rust can develop between the layers which can cause swelling. The lower six inches of your door skin my be pushed out because of this or some other reason.

If it isn't rusted, some judicious massaging with a 2x4 and a large hammer might move the flange in enough to satisfy you. If you try this, remember you're only trying to move the outer 3/4-1" of the panel. And, if it doesn't move, don't keep beating on it. You can only turn the flange in if it is out farther than it should be. You can't reshape the door's inner structure this way.

Another thing to remember is, these trucks didn't have perfectly fitting panels when they were new. A lot of what we do when we restore is "blueprinting". Making it the way the designers intended. You might not want to get into that much work.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
The inners structure on these doors is VERY strong there, and it comes out right to the edge of the door so there will be NO Bending them like that. I mean, ZERO, there is no way you can "massage" that edge in unless it was just a tiny amount.

The patch panels are in too far, that I am betting on. First of though just to set the record straight, those doors fit like crap from the factory and often stick out at the bottom. But this of course is way more than usual and I still suspect the patch panels.

This truck had someone working on it who put way too much faith in repro parts. A LOT of fitting has to be done with these repro parts before primer or paint should be put on them. And that is where you are at I believe, ready to put a LOT of work into them and re-bondo and re-prime- and likely re-jamb them. Such is life.

Brian
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

doors 49 chevy

i looked at the patch panels real close and they seem to be correct. they fit right up against the door pillar just like they should.can the bottom hinge cause this problem. i shure hope someone can help me with this
Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

need a pic of the whole door. looks like the door needs to come up. from what i see it is low front and back. and brian is right. forget bending the door.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

You may be right there Shine! Without seeing the rest I am not thinking that it could very well be low and raising it would close that gap up, very good.

Brian
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Door

One trick body men use is put a block of wood at the top of the door and push in at the bottom to try spring it or kinda twist it to fit the opening. Be carefull not to push to for from the edge of door or you will have more problems. Works well on new cars not so good on old trucks if you cant get enough movement get out the air chisel and mig.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Last photo:

After more discussion in a PM we have determined that the patch panels were installed wrong and the doors can not be aligned to work with the body wrong as it is.

Brian
Old 01-30-2012, 05:56 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

too bad. i would build up the area with evercoat 870 and let it go.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
too bad. i would build up the area with evercoat 870 and let it go.
what is 870 will that take care of it. did u see the picture tbrown8338
Old 01-31-2012, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Eve.../dp/B000P72HF4

He's joking, I assume.

If you were going to fill it something like Everglass would be what you would use in my opinion. But maybe Shine wasn't joking and he will explain.

Brian
Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

the 870 is an excellent product for this. unless your into cutting the corners and redoing it . a little bit of build would hide the problem. i've seen it used on many vettes to correct gaps. 1/4 to 3/8 is not a big risk here. but it is the only filler i would use for this. forget the dynajunk . are we building a hotrod or a show piece

it is possible to cut the inner door and maybe pull it in some. would have to ponder on it a while to decide how to attack it.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

Having had similar issues on my 54 you may be able to solve part of this problem by adjusting the lower hinge. This is WAG as I have not seen pics of how the door fits at the top.

Have the hinges been rebuilt? If not then I would first replace the hinge pin in both the top and bottom. Without tight hinges any further fitment issues will be fruitless.

Once the hinges are tight, hang the door and heat the exposed area of the bottom hinge strap until it is red. Then place a 1/2 thick board between the door and the cab at the top of the door and close it. Applying firm pressure on the bottom corner and providing some upward force will convince the hinge to move.

This may take several attempts to get satisfactory results but it does also look like the lower cowl panel is installed too far inboard.

If the hinge adjustment gets most of the problem solved I would slice the cowl panel with a cut-off wheel and weld it back in place so the rest of the problem is solved.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54
Having had similar issues on my 54 you may be able to solve part of this problem by adjusting the lower hinge. This is WAG as I have not seen pics of how the door fits at the top.

Have the hinges been rebuilt? If not then I would first replace the hinge pin in both the top and bottom. Without tight hinges any further fitment issues will be fruitless.

Once the hinges are tight, hang the door and heat the exposed area of the bottom hinge strap until it is red. Then place a 1/2 thick board between the door and the cab at the top of the door and close it. Applying firm pressure on the bottom corner and providing some upward force will convince the hinge to move.

This may take several attempts to get satisfactory results but it does also look like the lower cowl panel is installed too far inboard.

If the hinge adjustment gets most of the problem solved I would slice the cowl panel with a cut-off wheel and weld it back in place so the rest of the problem is solved.
yes the hinge pin are good no play at all, but i guess the bottom hinge could be bent some how. the door closes nice and smooth but just stick out at the bottom front and back. here is a couple of photos that might help you to help me. do you have any photo of your hood i am having problems with it also. please help all you can. thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	62467   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	62468   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	62469   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	84
ID:	62470   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	76
ID:	62471  

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54

here is picture of my hood do you think i can get it any closer or is that about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	679.6 KB
ID:	62472   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	62473   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	62474   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	62475   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	666.6 KB
ID:	62476  

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.