doors and hood on my 1949 chevy pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

doors and hood on my 1949 chevy pickup

i have a problem with the gap on my door and the hood just don't fit right. it appear that the outer lower cowl been replaced and some got off some. the measurement inside the door pillar (next to rocker panel) is 33" and the outer edge of the pillar is 34" (using the bottom hinge bolt as a reference point). on the driver side the inner measurements are the same but the outter is a 1/2' less (331/2") and that's the size of my gap. any suggestion without tearing everything apart again. i have the inner pillars and the door jam painted. and for the hood it is closed but don't look like it. the right side is almost flush with the fender but the left side is up more. i have tried everything and this is as close as i can get it. it closes fine but don't look too good. please help!!!!!!!!!!!! take a look at these pics.... thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 004.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	61928   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 009.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	61930   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 008.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	61931   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 002.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	61932   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 013.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	61933  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown8338
i have a problem with the gap on my door and the hood just don't fit right. it appear that the outer lower cowl been replaced and some got off some. the measurement inside the door pillar (next to rocker panel) is 33" and the outer edge of the pillar is 34" (using the bottom hinge bolt as a reference point). on the driver side the inner measurements are the same but the outter is a 1/2' less (331/2") and that's the size of my gap. any suggestion without tearing everything apart again. i have the inner pillars and the door jam painted. and for the hood it is closed but don't look like it. the right side is almost flush with the fender but the left side is up more. i have tried everything and this is as close as i can get it. it closes fine but don't look too good. please help!!!!!!!!!!!! take a look at these pics.... thanks in advance
more pics of my 1949 chevy pickup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 014.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	61934   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 011.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	61935   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 012.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	61936   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 007.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	61937   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck2 006.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	61938  

Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

how to align

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bo...alignment.html

as far as the lower door gap, the only way to fix that is weld rod onto the door edge, or move the cowl,,door edge is much easier..
Old 01-17-2012, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bo...alignment.html

as far as the lower door gap, the only way to fix that is weld rod onto the door edge, or move the cowl,,door edge is much easier..
what is weld rod
Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

weld 1/8 inch rod( round metal) onto the edge of door to fill gap..
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Personally I don't like modifying the part that is correct to fit the part that is wrong, I say make the cowl correct to fit the door. You can do this by running a die grinder with a cut off disc right down the line next to the door on the cowl and then spread it over to make a perfect gap and weld the slit up.

On the hood fit, I can tell you the problem right now, reproduction sheetmetal!! All bets are off on following normal guidelines with making an AD 47-53 Chevy pickup panels fit, you are working with a 2012 Chinese Chevrolet pick up and you are going to have to MAKE these parts fit sorta like if you had made the parts from scratch. If you had made these parts from scratch you simply wouldn't be done yet, you have the final fitting to do, so get to work.

On the hood, I still think it needs to go back a hair. But on the fenders, you are going to have to spread them, that is all there is to it. If this means hogging out the holes in the rad support and or inner fender that is just what you will need to do. You may need to put spacers between where the inner finder bolts to the side of the rad support too.

Remove the grille, those are a beach under perfect conditions but working with the AM sheetmetal all bets are off. You need to make the fenders and hood fit THEN make the grille fit the fenders.

Start by bringing the hood back a hair then making the fenders fit the hood by spreading them.

Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Personally I don't like modifying the part that is correct to fit the part that is wrong, I say make the cowl correct to fit the door. You can do this by running a die grinder with a cut off disc right down the line next to the door on the cowl and then spread it over to make a perfect gap and weld the slit up.

On the hood fit, I can tell you the problem right now, reproduction sheetmetal!! All bets are off on following normal guidelines with making an AD 47-53 Chevy pickup panels fit, you are working with a 2012 Chinese Chevrolet pick up and you are going to have to MAKE these parts fit sorta like if you had made the parts from scratch. If you had made these parts from scratch you simply wouldn't be done yet, you have the final fitting to do, so get to work.

On the hood, I still think it needs to go back a hair. But on the fenders, you are going to have to spread them, that is all there is to it. If this means hogging out the holes in the rad support and or inner fender that is just what you will need to do. You may need to put spacers between where the inner finder bolts to the side of the rad support too.

Remove the grille, those are a beach under perfect conditions but working with the AM sheetmetal all bets are off. You need to make the fenders and hood fit THEN make the grille fit the fenders.

Start by bringing the hood back a hair then making the fenders fit the hood by spreading them.

Brian

yea i thought about the same thing but what about the grill i can't put spacers between it and the fenders. the other problem is the bumpers on the hood is not quiet touching the fender on the front. i can remove the hood latch and it still won't go down any further. i think i have a problem at the back of the hood also

i don't quiet follow you on the cowl but i think what happen is the bottom section look like about 18" up from the bottom been replaced. some how they got it off somewhere. can i cut that section back out and replace it since i have to take the fender back off anyway to spread it
Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
yea i thought about the same thing but what about the grill i can't put spacers between it and the fenders. the other problem is the bumpers on the hood is not quiet touching the fender on the front. i can remove the hood latch and it still won't go down any further. i think i have a problem at the back of the hood also

i don't quiet follow you on the cowl but i think what happen is the bottom section look like about 18" up from the bottom been replaced. some how they got it off somewhere. can i cut that section back out and replace it since i have to take the fender back off anyway to spread it
You would slot the holes in the fenders or grille so the grille will bolt in. But you may not even need to do that, I have no idea how big the holes are now. All I know is, you remove the grill, make the fenders fit properly and then install the grill, right now, the fenders may be pushed together too much so the grill will fit.

This photo shows sort of what I was talking about, the white line (though crooked and sloppy) would be a straight line that is cut. You simply spread out the slot (near the bottom a little more) until the gap is perfect, then weld it up.

Brian

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

By the way, on those fenders you hopefully you still have the stock fender rods that are going from the fenders to the firewall.

You can unbolt the fenders from the rad support and with those rods they will stay up and not fall off or spread from the rad support. Using the rods, you can push OUT on the fenders as well as pull in! Did you know that? The rods have two nuts, one on the inside and one on the outside of the bracket. The rod is very thick and strong. If you unscrew the outer nut that is in the bracket, then turn the inner one that is on the outside of the bracket out (unscrewing it off the rod) it will push the fender bracket and thus the fender OUT spreading it. Those rods are very important in aligning the fenders.

Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM

Last photo:

I couldn't find any photos of the Chevy but this is a Ford and it does the same thing. If you screw the number 2 nut in the direction of the arrow and then the number 1 nut you can see how it is going to push the fender out.

Ignore all the degrees and crap, that was something someone had put on the photo before I "beautified" it.

Brian

Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I couldn't find any photos of the Chevy but this is a Ford and it does the same thing. If you screw the number 2 nut in the direction of the arrow and then the number 1 nut you can see how it is going to push the fender out.

Ignore all the degrees and crap, that was something someone had put on the photo before I "beautified" it.

Brian

ok i think i am following u on the cowl. u are saying cut a straight line all the way up to where your line stop and try spreading that lip closer to the door to close the gap. then that gap will have to be filled with sheetmetal and welded correct. i may try that but i have a new cowl now but i will try that first if i am following you correctly. as for the hood i do have the rods and i have loosen them all the way off and got the same results, but i didn't have the gap between the radiator support and the inner fender. so if i put a 1/4" spacer between the radiator support and the inner fender on both sides isn't there going to be a gap between the grill and fenders or do you think they will pull back together correctly. it was tight getting the grill in between the fenders before. so i will have to slot the two holes on top of the radiator support also correct and the ones on the bottom radiator baffle. so that hood should fit all the way down right. if you look at the picture close i still believe i have a problem at the back of the hood also. i think it is hitting the cowl at the bottom before it hit the fenders. please help all you can so far all advice is very good thank you
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

I am still thinking that hood needs to go back a hair, back and up. That needs to be done before you do any modifying of anything. But you will likely need to remove all the inner fender to rad support bolts, and remove the grille.

Brian
Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I am still thinking that hood needs to go back a hair, back and up. That needs to be done before you do any modifying of anything. But you will likely need to remove all the inner fender to rad support bolts, and remove the grille.

Brian
ok how to get the hood back and up. AND WAS I THINKING RIGHT ON THE COWL CUTTING. THANKS BRIAN
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 AM

Last photo:

Martinsr

Mr Brian What About The Grill Will It Have To Be Shimmed Somehow
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Mr Brian What About The Grill Will It Have To Be Shimmed Somehow
Maybe, it has been about twenty five years since I put one in so you are pushing my memory but yes it is possible on the sides of the grill opening where it bolts to the fender but that would look like crap as you would see a gap so I am sure you will be making some mod there to make it fit IF you needed to.

But you really need to start at the cowl, making the hood fit there, then down the tops of the fenders, making the hood fit there, THEN make the grill fit.

How about where the rad support is mounted to the frame, is it stock there or is it on a frame clip or something? I forgot if you ever mentioned that. If your frame is stock then you should be fine but if it has been "clipped" with some other suspension and front frame then you could be in for a whole different project path. Is it an original frame so the rad support is not modified and simply bolts to the front cross member?

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.