Doors panels/Consoles - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2002, 06:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Doors panels/Consoles

My interior of my truck is in need of some changes. I plan to make a new center console and have it blend up to the dash. The new console will probably be fiberglassed and painted.

My door panels/dash and other plastic pieces all have a pattern to it. I would like to panels to have a slick smooth surface almost to the point it looks like painted metal.

What is the best way to make the panels smooth. I really hate to sand them, is there anything I can apply to fill in the pattern and then sand smooth and paint?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Depends on what your door and dash is made from, certain plastics have an avalable filler, some don't. What is the vehicle make? Are you asking how to make the 'glass center consol?

HK
Old 11-12-2002, 02:46 AM

The vehicle is actually a 1994 GMC YUKON. Not considered a hotrod by most but it is a custom truck, with a modified engine I take to shows.

I think I pretty much have it figured out how I want to make the glass console. I am used to making model airplane fuselages from foam and glassing so that should be easy - The only reason I mentioned it, is that it will be a smooth finish and I would like the dash and other pieces to be smooth to match.

Randy
Old 11-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Magnum, make sure the dash and door panels aren't coverd with a dash pad. I think it is/may be, its a foam coverd in a vinyl, if its not then go to your local auto paint shop and buy some urethane bumper repair puddy, scuff up your dash a bit and fill in those grainings then paint, should look fine and work fine too

Your plan for the consol is correct, but the foam could get a bit exspensive, using a wood mold (1/4" plywood and streched T shirts) works well, if you want a bit more curvature than that stick with the foam. A mold can be made of/from anything, just remember to have a release ajent on your mold unless you want it in your ride Used a dog bowl once, turned out nice, but the dog was pissed

HK
Old 11-12-2002, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I installed a new radio which required a new piece in the dash, so I have an extra piece I can mess up -

As for the door panels I know they are plastic, I took them off to install power windows a few months ago, the only thing with a pad is the arm rest. The only padding on the dash is just above the instrument cluster. Will have to figure a way to get that to a new color. I don't think the vinyl dies come in the color I would want - .

Hmm. The tip on the tshirts is good. I planned on using 1/4" foam board in probably the same way you are using the plywood. It's light and strong, but will need to be covered with thick cloth to make it strong enough to withstand someone leaning on it. Since it's a one-of I can always use something to disolve the foam and just leave the glass.

Dog bowls?? Hmmmm gives me an idea for built in cup holders-

Thanks!

Randy
Old 11-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Take a stroll through your neighborhood Wal Mart. You'd be amazed at the different size, depth and configurations you'll find.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:24 PM

I have already found a bunch of stuff at Wal-Mart and the local auto stores. Got enough room in that truck to make the console hold 4 drinks up front and 2 in the back with room to hide my cd-changer and Ham radio - )

Now, about that boring overhead console-
Old 11-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

If the door panels are a textured plastic, why not have them covered in a smooth leather or a soft vinyl? Use some foam underneath to add some design elements to them.

Kevin
Old 11-27-2002, 12:13 PM

I considered that. I have just never done it before I guess, so I don't know how much trouble it is.

The truck is flamed, and it would be nice to have a flamed deisgn in the door..- hmmm. Can you add red flames to leather?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.

I am trying to eliminate as much carpet as Ipossibly can. I am allergic to dust, and carpet is a big no-no in the house. I figured the truck was probably just as bad-
Old 11-28-2002, 04:44 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Magnum,
Check out some of Vintages work.. http://hotrodders.com/cgibin/album/a...album=00000880 He had a posting earlier that he had some free time and was looking for some winter work. Maybe you could send your panels to him seeing that it is going into the off season. Just a suggestion.

Kevin
Old 11-28-2002, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like he does some good work.

SO far, except for painting I have done all of the work on my truck, and kinda like doing it myself. It may take me longer , and several attempts, but I kinda like being able to say "Yep, I did that"-
Old 02-01-2003, 08:38 PM

Kevin,

I removed the old console in my truck, and without in in there changes the whole apearance of the truck, and gives it more room. Having somemuch flat area from the dash back will give me room to mount my laptop GPS and other items.

I am back working on my truck (back problems). I have decided to look into the vinyl or leather you mentioned. The leather may be to expensive, but vinyl might work. My truck is flamed, so having 3D flames in the door panels may look pretty good. ANd I could also put vinyl or leather in the headliner.

My question is, are there any articles on how to make the 3D flame designs?

THanks
Old 05-06-2004, 08:43 PM

Door Panels

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
If the door panels are a textured plastic, why not have them covered in a smooth leather or a soft vinyl? Use some foam underneath to add some design elements to them.

Kevin
I just read "Custom Auto Interiors" and he didn't tell too much about how you get leather to lay down on these panels. Could someone walk me through the process of getting leather to lay into the complex curves that the foam door panels produce. Seems you would really fight some bad puckers. Any cool how to web sites anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2004, 12:12 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Leather can only be stretched so much with heat. If its a complex panel, it might have to be cut and sewn.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.