Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid?? Yes or No ??
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 04:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid?? Yes or No ??

I recently went to a web site that designed and sold brake parts exclusivly. I read the following information about dot 5 silicone brake fluid on their web site.

Silicone based fluids are great for museum cars that are never driven, because the fluid is very non-reactive. The moisture that is bound to eventually get into the brake lines will not dissolve in silicone fluid. This water forms pockets that will boil off and become steam as the brake fluid heats up, and as a result it is virtually impossible to keep a silicone based system bled properly as there will always be gas in the lines.

I have been running dot 5 silicone based brake fluid in one of my cars for 20 years, drive the car almost every day, and I have never once experienced any of the problems described above, or any other problems for that matter, with this brake fluid!

Has anyone else had any experience with dot 5 silicone based brake fluid, good or bad????????????