Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dot 5 Silicone Brake Fluid?? Yes or No ??
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2002, 07:51 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dot 5 should in my opinion not be used on anything(not even your john deer lawn tractor).It does not work in a race car.Just ask the guy that was in front of me all nite on the local short track(he did not have much rear bumper left )I have fixed many brake problems on rods also by simply removing the dot 5 . I have heard a few success stories using Dot 5 mostly from some of the SCCA vette boys but most of them payed to have there work done and i suspect they were getting 4 and paying for 5.. I have allways used the Castrol GTX dot 4 product and have no problems.(nope i dont work for them) If you mix dot 3 with 4 it lowers the boiling point.The boiling point on Dot 4 comes down to what Dot 3 is in a matter of months so if you dont do the bleed and flush deal every year there is probably no great gains in using Dot 4. The pedal pressure alone would stop me from every using Dot 5 again.If you ever had to drive down into a corner in the triple digits and pushed on the middle pedal with dot 5 you would never use it again. LOL Its great selling point is it does not eat paint. Well a little tip ...dont put it on the paint Now this is a real tip ...not kidding.Buy brake fluid in small containers(no swap meet crap,or gallon jugs)After you break the seal and use it toss the rest out.If its on the shelf for a few months its not worth putting in your car. I could go on and on about Dot 5 as i was sponsered by a company that makes the stuff ,but we could just not get the stuff to work.Brakes would hang up on a 50 lap race.You would have to stand on the brake pedal to get it slightly slowed down.We finally kept the stuff in the hauler but would make sure the brakes were bleed at the shop(were no one saw we were not using the product) I am no engineer but it wont get used in this shop again.

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Phat ]</p>