Double Flare Postscript - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2002, 03:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Angry Double Flare Postscript

Can't believe that the $50 tool I bought to double flare the lines with is defective. The 45* press doesn't align with the center of the tubing when it's held in the clamp. It's off just enough to break the little tab off the insert when performing the first part of the double flare. Oh, well guess I'll return it and make sure the next one I get is made correctly.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bill this is one of those times that will happen. I bet you are flaring 3/16 correct?? The clamp you are pushing the die down with wants to be crooked and touching the part with the tubing being held.(you got to center it ,its NOT self centering) Also clean the end of the tube with a very small file before you flare it.Make sure its square and ream the inside out a little. There is nothing wrong with the tool.The 3/16 die gets broken all the time if your not carefull. Good time to order a spare.I got a spare about 10 years ago and never have broken one since LMAO Good luck and dont feel to bad we all have broken that die before(some just wont own up to it LOL )
Old 02-10-2002, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

I understand what you're saying but in this case the tool (the 45* portion) fits over the clamp and twists to align. It has notches in the side, which fit the clamp to hold it in place when you’re cranking it down. The problem is that it doesn't align on any of the tubing holes no matter what size. When I use my Sears 45* tool on the same clamp it aligns perfectly. This particular tool was drilled wrong so it won't align period. The darn thing cost me 50 bucks and I think I paid about $49 too much so it's going back. One thing’s for sure, I'll check the next one really close before I walk out the door with it.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:28 AM

Last photo:

i bougt 3 flaring tools before i found a good one that worked. my problem was that the tubing slid through the tool no matter how tight i made it

bomo
Old 03-03-2002, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

Cool

After returning the expensive (defective) tool I went back to old reliable, the $20 Sears special. I have always had the same problem with the tubing slipping out too. I decided after tightning the tool to mount it in a vice to add presure as close as possible to where the upper part of the tool would mount to do the flare. Worked pretty well and I was able to finish plumbing the brakes using this method.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:10 AM

I found one solution to the slipping tube was to tighten the wing-nut closest to the hole the tube is in first, the the other one last. Another help ful hint is to slightly champer or bevel the end of the tubing before the first compression stage-this will allow the tube to conform easier--Paulweldit
Old 03-06-2002, 04:58 PM

Last journal entry: Red, my second T--Bucket
Last photo:

Don't know if you have Auto-Zone around you or not, but they have a tool "loaner" where you leave a deposit (enough to buy the tool) use it and return it for ALL YOUR MONEY BACK!!! Best deal I've found!! The double flaring tool I got from them had a similar problem, but I filed the contact points of the "screw" half to get it square with the bar. I also had to file the inner faces of the bar to get it to hold the tubing. Just file a little at a time or you'll crimp the tubing if you go too far!! (Voice of experience talking)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.