Double hump heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Double hump heads

Hi,

I've over bored my '66 283 .030 and installed a pair of '67 Camaro SS 350 double hump heads with 1.94" intake valves. I've turned the engine by hand to set the lifters and the intake valves don't hit the block deck nor cylinder bores. So far, so good, but Im having the uneasy sensation that maybe I'll have a low compression ratio. Any of you guys have an idea of what kind of C.I my 283 will have? The pistons are flat top. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM

Around 8.7:1 depending on gasket used and if your blocked been decked or not.

Thats 64cc heads, 30 over 283, 21 thou headgasket and 16 thou in the hole.

Sell those heads on ebay for a couple hundred and buy some aftermarkets. Very cheap, a lot more power, and cooler.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Shipping heads from Brazil to the states rules out eBay and of course importing heads from the states can be costly too. He probably will be happy with what he has.

Trees
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsomnia
Around 8.7:1 depending on gasket used and if your blocked been decked or not.

Thats 64cc heads, 30 over 283, 21 thou headgasket and 16 thou in the hole.

Sell those heads on ebay for a couple hundred and buy some aftermarkets. Very cheap, a lot more power, and cooler.
Well, it's an engine just to go around the town without hi perf intentions. I thought that it would be worse. Something like 8.5:1 is not that bad. I had a 55 Chevy with a 8.0:1 265" two barrel and was a nice driver. Thanks for the info. Now I have were to start. I have a pair of 283" power packs that I can rebuild and use in the near future.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Shipping heads from Brazil to the states rules out eBay and of course importing heads from the states can be costly too. He probably will be happy with what he has.

Trees
A pair of Edelbrock aluminum heads here will cost you around US 3,000. The import taxes are pretty steep. The American rodders don't know how lucky they are...
Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

The humps will work great on your 283 actually a little to much head for that size engine.They will flow all that little puppy will need in fact they work well in a tunnel ram dual 4bbl in this case . any aftermarket head exept maybe a stock vortec would be overkill(runners way to big for the little small block).If you can get the fuel to support it flat mill em .040 and use a steel shim gasket ,do not increase the valve size. Also if you can find em a set of 305 heads 416 casting I think would also work very well on this engine. You need to think small cam and all.A cam advertised for 1500 to 4500 in a 350 might very well not start pulling till 3000 and stop at6500 in the "83.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
The humps will work great on your 283 actually a little to much head for that size engine.They will flow all that little puppy will need in fact they work well in a tunnel ram dual 4bbl in this case . any aftermarket head exept maybe a stock vortec would be overkill(runners way to big for the little small block).If you can get the fuel to support it flat mill em .040 and use a steel shim gasket ,do not increase the valve size. Also if you can find em a set of 305 heads 416 casting I think would also work very well on this engine. You need to think small cam and all.A cam advertised for 1500 to 4500 in a 350 might very well not start pulling till 3000 and stop at6500 in the "83.
Well, a .030 overbore makes it a little bigger than the original 283. The fuel here is good enough for my 396 Chevelle with 10.25:1 because it has some alcohol mixed to it. Well, I rather not mill the heads cause they're kind of "historic". The cam I'm using is the '67 SS 350 cam. I guess that a C.I of 8.5:1 is not that bad, at least for a while. I'm going to use a 600 CFM Holley vacuum secondaries or a Edelbrock Performer. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

That will probably be a good cruiser, good mileage and fair power.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 AM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
That will probably be a good cruiser, good mileage and fair power.
I hope so...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiz
Well, a .030 overbore makes it a little bigger than the original 283. The fuel here is good enough for my 396 Chevelle with 10.25:1 because it has some alcohol mixed to it. Well, I rather not mill the heads cause they're kind of "historic". The cam I'm using is the '67 SS 350 cam. I guess that a C.I of 8.5:1 is not that bad, at least for a while. I'm going to use a 600 CFM Holley vacuum secondaries or a Edelbrock Performer. Thanks for the information.

Sounds like its going to be a fun engine, streetable, economic, and piece of history.
I likey lets ee some pics.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-gin
Sounds like its going to be a fun engine, streetable, economic, and piece of history.
I likey lets ee some pics.
Well, piece of history a 283 really is. Compared to the last generation of the V-8 Chevy engine it looks like the piece of bone used by the "2001 A Space Odyssey" monkey... Simple and effective.
Do you know how to post pics here? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

When you reply to a tread there is a manage attachments button. Click on it and it will brouse your computer for pictures, or you my have to select a pic. Click to edit the picture to make sure it is not too big. Resize it so it can fit the screen or pixle size. After saved exit the screen for editing and double click the new saved pic. It will save it to a separate miniscreen and then just click the upload button. Then submit a reply.
If you still have trouble there is a place on here with step by step instructions. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 AM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-gin
When you reply to a tread there is a manage attachments button. Click on it and it will brouse your computer for pictures, or you my have to select a pic. Click to edit the picture to make sure it is not too big. Resize it so it can fit the screen or pixle size. After saved exit the screen for editing and double click the new saved pic. It will save it to a separate miniscreen and then just click the upload button. Then submit a reply.
If you still have trouble there is a place on here with step by step instructions. Good luck.
Thanks. Your explanation is good enough.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:30 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

Just a test to see if I'm able to attach the 283 pic with double hump heads...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	283Small.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	31330  
Old 07-20-2008, 06:03 PM
ChevyNut

Last photo:

I took off the double humps. I bought a pair of newly rebuilt 283 power pack heads (9.25:1). The ones with a cast triangle atop of a cast rectangle. I've put a double hump side to side with a power pack and I could see how much bigger the DH combustion chambers are compared to the PP one. I guess that a 283 with dome pistons and double hump heads would make a nice engine...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.