Double Hump or Vortec??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have found all kinds of data. Just wondering as far as what is worth putting money into porting and such. Sorry to aggravate you over this. I just keep getting bashed for my choice of POSSIBLY running vortecs. Here's another choice... what are thoughts on these heads seeing as the flow identical to the iron eagles. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dr...make/chevrolet

Advertisement

Last edited by Caballerokid; 01-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM

maybe mention what your engine has done to it.If its a very mild engine then maybe you do not need much more flow?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

The cam will change at some point so I need the capability of even more flow that i probably need at this very moment. That is why my power is so low now; open chamber smogger heads. Everyone can benefit from more flow. Flow and efficiency is POWER. If you don't have that, you have no power. Where people get the "flow" data misconstrued is having huge openings capable of flow but they cannot keep the port velocity up so they never really "flow" much air. I understand the flow characteristics of how and why it is important. I just need to figure out what platform is best to start from so I can get the best (reputable/reliable) bang for my buck with the ability to upgrade things in the near future such as my cam without needing all new heads again. It s .060" over 350 with .125" 3.5cc dome pistons, .025" in the hole, .015" shim head gasket, 10.2:1 CR, Crane 274 H06 cam with 350lb springs recommended with the cam, 1.6:1 SA roller rockers, 882 heads (76cc) with 1.94"/1.60" valves and port matching to the Edelbrock Performer intake manifold.I'm changing to a Performer RPM until I get a RPM Air Gap. I also want a bigger roller cam something in the range of .520-.530" lift. But for now, this is what I have. I know its not ideal but its what I came up with 10 years ago in school and learning about this stuff. Now I'm working on correcting everything I did wrong before, starting with the heads and intake.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballerokid View Post
I have found all kinds of data. Just wondering as far as what is worth putting money into porting and such. Sorry to aggravate you over this. I just keep getting bashed for my choice of POSSIBLY running vortecs. Here's another choice... what are thoughts on these heads seeing as the flow identical to the iron eagles. Dart SHP Special High Performance Cylinder Heads 127322 - SummitRacing.com
those heads are MUCH better than 062 Vortec heads, but like I said the Vortec BOWTIE heads are actually really good heads and durable.

If you want to put money into a head don't do it with a thin head that will crack and be worthless.

There's nothing wrong wiht the heads you linked to, but also nothing wrong with the Assault heads I provided and they're a lot cheaper. I don't know what your budget is.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

I was able to get 353 RWHP out of a .030 over 327 with ported double humps. That translates to around 425 gross flywheel, correct?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

I appreciate the input. The last question I've all of a sudden thought of... will I have issues with running a heart shaped 64cc chamber with these pistons? I'm .025" in the hole so that helps some...
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
Old & Furious

What about procomps i got a set have some pictures in my profile. 600 bucks a set loaded and bolt on ready.

Vortecs are best when just bolted on and no money is spent once you start spending cash on them the fun leaves the equation. If your cam is going to be mild this is what you want to do. 350 hp is an easy number to reach with good vortecs and mild cam. Dont spend a dime cutting on them just bolt em down and go. You will be happy you did.

The fuelie heads are not x heads or really highest hp version. Ported to the max the big x heads will out flow the vortecs. But the vortecs outflow them by a mile stock for stock.

I would sell them both and buy alum heads. Procomps or some other brand. Also be aware that with higher compression you will need a much larger cam and larger flow to support that cam. But can look forward to a nice hp boost.

Bowtie vortecs are sold by gm performance and are as good as some aftermarket heads.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM

To quote Tech,its all about the combination.
Yes you can buy/build better heads.There are many choices.If you know exactly what you want,then build that. The 350 you have can produce 500 plus HP in street trim. If you need more,then consider a bigger engine. If you use a 421,then 500 horse power is mild.If you you a 355,then 500 horse power is getting more difficult to deal with on a daily driver.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I appreciate the input. The last question I've all of a sudden thought of... will I have issues with running a heart shaped 64cc chamber with these pistons? I'm .025" in the hole so that helps some...
This involves some reading to see the upgrades done but check it out:White Performance Detail Description Feel free to call Skip if you have questions.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Double Hump or Vortec???

Neither, I would buy the Dart SHP heads with the correct size chambers to get the CR that you want. Why waste your money on used production heads. If you decide to put some work in porting at least you will have a better head when you are done.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdminter59 For This Useful Post:
Caballerokid (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
I get 10.7:1 which can work on the street with alum heads. With a .041 head gasket.

That would be a lot to ask for from cast iron heads. Now with a giant cam and good tune with good weather conditions maybe 93 will work but hot engine on a hot day may knock. Best to stay in the 10:1 range for most cast iron applications. Larger cam can help but with smaller cam regular flat tops would be a better bet also cheaper. Depends on the end goal. All out racing more is better as long as you got the fuel to support it.

Can you get e85 in your area? Not in mine but works good for high compression engines when carbs are tuned for it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
I get 10.7:1 which can work on the street with alum heads. With a .041 head gasket.

That would be a lot to ask for from cast iron heads. Now with a giant cam and good tune with good weather conditions maybe 93 will work but hot engine on a hot day may knock. Best to stay in the 10:1 range for most cast iron applications. Larger cam can help but with smaller cam regular flat tops would be a better bet also cheaper. Depends on the end goal. All out racing more is better as long as you got the fuel to support it.

Can you get e85 in your area? Not in mine but works good for high compression engines when carbs are tuned for it.
The engine is already built and running with the .125" dome pistons. Those unfortunately won't change as well as the fact they are .025" in the hole. If I run a .041" gasket my quench is trash. This is why I ran the .015" shim gasket to get a .040" quench. Also, with the combination I have currently it is 10.2:1 CR and still detonates because I can't run full timing because of the larger chamber, thus wanting the smaller more efficient chamber. I have easy access to all kinds of fuels where I'm at so if i have to run 100 all day everyday, that will suck but can be done as this is going to be a drift car that isn't driven often enough. Plus if I were to run the aluminum SHP heads, that will be like dropping my compression a full point so I'll be roughly 10.4:1 which isn't too different from where I'm at not but with a more efficient chamber and fast burn rate. I just need to make sure the dome will clear the "heart" shape of the chamber or the pistons will need to be clearanced.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
The engine is already built and running with the .125" dome pistons. Those unfortunately won't change as well as the fact they are .025" in the hole. If I run a .041" gasket my quench is trash. This is why I ran the .015" shim gasket to get a .040" quench. Also, with the combination I have currently it is 10.2:1 CR and still detonates because I can't run full timing because of the larger chamber, thus wanting the smaller more efficient chamber. I have easy access to all kinds of fuels where I'm at so if i have to run 100 all day everyday, that will suck but can be done as this is going to be a drift car that isn't driven often enough. Plus if I were to run the aluminum SHP heads, that will be like dropping my compression a full point so I'll be roughly 10.4:1 which isn't too different from where I'm at not but with a more efficient chamber and fast burn rate. I just need to make sure the dome will clear the "heart" shape of the chamber or the pistons will need to be clearanced.
It should but you may need to clay it for valves and head clearence. I would call the piston manufacturer and make sure the pistons are designed to work with those heads. Some are made for other purposes. Like bumping up an 87 cc head may not work with 64 cc heads. As long as they are made for 64 cc heads it should be ok.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
There's no "like dropping my compression a full point" with all the compression you'll have with 64cc chambers you'll require race fuel. E85 may be another option for you, but conversion is costly, though race gas is costly too.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
There's no "like dropping my compression a full point" with all the compression you'll have with 64cc chambers you'll require race fuel. E85 may be another option for you, but conversion is costly, though race gas is costly too.
All very true, but I have heard running aluminum heads since they cool more rapidly than steel will run cooler and effectively act as if you have one less point of CR such as 10:1 steel and 9:1 aluminum. Is this not the case? Like I said previously, I have no problem running race fuel I have already implemented a blend but I plan to run more of a blend if not straight race fuel.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.