Double Hump or Vortec??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Double Hump or Vortec???

Ok, so I've got a set of virgin 062 vortec heads and have about $600-$1000 worth of machine and port work set to go with Smithburg Racing and I have an opportunity to pick up a set of 186 Fuelie heads supposedly virgin castings for about $400... plus some machine work probably. I've done some digging on flow rates and such... which should I go with? By looking here Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water -- DFW / FLW Flow Files for use with Engine Simulation Software at the flow rates, the vortecs kill the fuelie heads. Also the I have a set of worked 882s on my engine currently that I am replacing but it shows the 882's don't even flow that bad. I'm now kind of stumped which way I should go with this. Either the vortec head or the fuelie head (64cc chambers) will give me roughly 11.4:1 static CR on my 360 sbc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballerokid View Post
Ok, so I've got a set of virgin 062 vortec heads and have about $600-$1000 worth of machine and port work set to go with Smithburg Racing and I have an opportunity to pick up a set of 186 Fuelie heads supposedly virgin castings for about $400... plus some machine work probably. I've done some digging on flow rates and such... which should I go with? By looking here Stan Weiss' - Cylinder Head Flow Data at 28 Inches of Water -- DFW / FLW Flow Files for use with Engine Simulation Software at the flow rates, the vortecs kill the fuelie heads. Also the I have a set of worked 882s on my engine currently that I am replacing but it shows the 882's don't even flow that bad. I'm now kind of stumped which way I should go with this. Either the vortec head or the fuelie head (64cc chambers) will give me roughly 11.4:1 static CR on my 360 sbc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Are you serious? You want to piss away a grand on a set of 062 Vortecs? HUGE mistake.

Take that same $1,000 and buy yourself a set of real heads, not production crap. If you want Vortec style heads go with the Bowtie Vortecs, for your compression I'm guessing you'll want the large port version.

Even 210 Assault Racing chinese heads would be a MUCH better use of your money.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Last photo:

save $$

vortecs are good in stock trim or maybe just have a good valve job preformed , better valves and springs no reason to have all that port work preformed
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

I've been trying to go on the cheap to squeeze more power out of my engine... I'm not necessarily going to do the port work but for the work needed just to run the heads will be roughly $600; tank and mag, hone valve guides, 5angle valve job, cut the valve guides and spring pockets, open up the pushrod holes, screw in studs, SS valves, back cut valves, positive valve seals, valve locks and drilling perimeter bolt holes for the older valve covers. I've also though about doing some bowl blending of my own and smoothing the valve opeings to save some money and get a little better flow. Although, I do need to buy a new intake to match the vortecs so thats another $250 on top of that.To me... that would be more performance on the cheap versus, $1200 on a complete set of small chamber bowtie heads. The only larger chamber bowtie head I see is a vortec style. Also I've never heard of or seen the 210 Assault Racing heads.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Honestly, if I was going aftermarket I was looking at a set of Dart SHP 180cc aluminum heads for $900 shipped. But they litterally flow just the same as a stock vortec head... So again, I figured just spend $600 on the vortecs. I don't know...
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
here are some old vortec pics I have, I don't know if they're from the same set or different ones... I really need to label pictures better. It shows what a "average joe" can do with about a $100 investment in tools.
What ever happened with that set of vortecs you worked? You put quite a bit of time into them and now are telling me not to waste my money. Are they really not worth the time and money? Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

votecs

i ran a set of vortecs on a sbc 355 boat motor they wer machined for a 540 lift solid cam 2.02 and 1.06 valves and only minor bowl work no port work at all and that motor screamed good thing too was the heads already had hardend valve seats vs what the old double humps have another route instead of drilling for old syle valve covers u can also buy the spacers for that instaed.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

here's a much better use for your $600- Assault Racing Complete SBC Small Block Chevy Aluminum Cylinder Heads Angle Plug 350 383 400 - KMJ Performance

If you call them you can get the springs upgraded to something more appropriate for your cam.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

vortecs

iv been out of the loop on the newer after market sbc heads but im sure there probably is a better deal out there to save $$ on all that machine work the vortecs would need .
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
here's a much better use for your $600- Assault Racing Complete SBC Small Block Chevy Aluminum Cylinder Heads Angle Plug 350 383 400 - KMJ Performance

If you call them you can get the springs upgraded to something more appropriate for your cam.
Those don't look terrible... my only question is, since they will accept early and late model intakes, I'm assuming the early intake will need to be opened up a lot to match since the "Vortec style" ports are much taller than the older heads?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

The more I read on these heads and others who have dealt with KMJ Performance... I don't think I will be spending my money there. I know I'm going low buck but I'm not going to plow through someones hows while trying to shave a corner lol. I still really havent seen anything on comparing the 186 double humps to a pair of 062 vortecs. Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

vortecs

I just know my past experiece when i had that motor with those vortecs i also ran a vortec super victor jr intake a buddy of mine had the same style boat but with a 327 with vortecs and a rpm air gap intake and his motor was a screamer also if it wer me i would go with the vortecs and the corect intake manifold to be used with those heads
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Thats why I'm thinking of spending the money on the vortecs but still curious if it would be worth putting any money into a set of 186 heads. I'm still on the fence.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
The more I read on these heads and others who have dealt with KMJ Performance... I don't think I will be spending my money there. I know I'm going low buck but I'm not going to plow through someones hows while trying to shave a corner lol. I still really havent seen anything on comparing the 186 double humps to a pair of 062 vortecs. Any ideas?
"those heads" are a hell of a lot better than 062 Vortecs, and they list the intake dimensions- 1.22" W x 2.20" T. you just need an intake that fits those dimensions, and as they say either bolt pattern will work.

I have dealt with KMJ and while they have messed up an order before they also promptly corrected it for free.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Thats why I'm thinking of spending the money on the vortecs but still curious if it would be worth putting any money into a set of 186 heads. I'm still on the fence.
the Vortecs are thin and crack prone, and small. three strikes against them.

the 186 heads are much heavier, and less crack prone but have a terrible chamber and tiny runner. They work great for daily drivers but are NOT a performance head.

BTW there are a LOT of comparisons out there between those ehads and the Vortecs always make more power, I don't see how you can't find that data if you have access to Google, its been done to death.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
hcompton (01-16-2013)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.