Hot Rod Forum banner

Double U joint question

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Highball 
#1 ·
This probably seems obvious but I cant quite wrap my head around the theory. I need to offset my steering column shaft about an inch to clear my header. Can I use a double u joint to run my steering shaft on a parrallel but offset plane to clear my header? It seems like it would bind and not be possible even with a support bearing. Can anyone please confirm or deny if these work that way?

It would be configured exactly like pictured below.

See less See more
#2 ·
Using a double U joint connection is the best way to offset the shaft. The support bearing must be placed correctly and allow the shaft to spin freely.
A double U joint for steering is no different than the double U joints used in many 4 wheel drive applications.
Use Borgeson steering joints as well.....they are the best out there.

#4 ·
Like sunset said, you need to move the bearing around until you have no binding. If that doesn't work, you may need an intermediate shaft. Here's a pic of my S-10 steering shaft:

Russ

#5 ·
This probably seems obvious but I cant quite wrap my head around the theory. I need to offset my steering column shaft about an inch to clear my header. Can I use a double u joint to run my steering shaft on a parrallel but offset plane to clear my header? It seems like it would bind and not be possible even with a support bearing. Can anyone please confirm or deny if these work that way?
If you have binding, then you have too much angle in the u-joints. Either reduce the offset or separate the two u-joints with an intermediate shaft as shown above.

#6 ·
I'm just making the assumption that it will bind by how it fells turning the shaft while trying to keep the u joint stationary by hand. It seems like it is wanting to loop because of resistance in the center section. I don not have a carrier bearing in the shaft yet because I was not sure if the setup would even work and I have my doubts. I guess the next step will be to fab a bearing mount and install one to see if the resistance is still there, but looking at the double u in my hand it just seems like they are not designed to operate that way. Anybody have a video or picture of one setup like that?

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

#7 ·
I don't believe the double u-joints are intended for offsetting angles like you have shown, but for complimentary angles. Many single u-joints handle up to 35 degrees of angle, and doubles can handle up to 70 degrees. The offset you intend is just like two single joints with a very short shaft in between them. What you have pictured seems like 45 degrees in each joint. There is some information on this site: See page 25 - http://borgeson.com/Images/2013_Catalog.pdf

#8 ·
I can't find anything conclusive that would tell me they are or are not meant for this kind of setup. Very surprising really considering all the info and experience in the web, but I think sedanbob is right from just messing with the double U in my hands. It just dies not seem like it will operate properly in the " opposite angle" configuration. But please chime in if anyone can positively confirm that it will or wont work. Otherwise I will be returning the double and go with three singles and a two piece steering shaft.

#9 ·
I am using a double u-joint exactly as you are describing but do not have as severe of an angle. Mine works fine.

Woodward also makes a good double joint that comes in all different lengths between the joints which may allow you to keep the angles to a minimum.

John L

#11 ·
Sedanbob is correct. I have a '32 Chevy that I removed the old stock Chevy steering box and installed one from a '49 Hudson I got in a trade. I called Borgeson and they sent me an online catalog. I went to work measuring and using a Micrometer for shaft diameters. I called and sent them online photo's with the dimensions included. Their Tech folks called me and told me what I needed. I gave them my order and in fours days I had the items and by the next morning I was on the road. I also have dealt with Flaming River and was again treated courteously and got great Tech advice. Once you get the right items it all comes into line fast. But with any steering items make sure you don't go cheap. You and your passengers welfare depend heavily on good strong steering. I'm pleased and my '32 is a daily driver to my shop which is 12 miles away from the house. Works like it should and I also got a reduced number of turns on my 15" steering wheel in both right and left turns.
Normbc9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.