Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Double u joint set up question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/double-u-joint-set-up-question-106258.html)

artillerystevens 01-08-2007 01:20 PM

Double u joint set up question

I am using a double u joint set up to connect my steering box to the steering column, I have already fabricated it, and it is almost ready to mount. My question is about the flexability in the mount on the steering box end. It is made so that it can have some play in it, and I would assume to absorb vibration and movement of the frame relative to the body.. is that extra play in that mount going to cause my u joints to bind, or the steering shaft to have a wobble?
If it is a problem can I just make the mount on the steering box end more rigid or will I need an arm with a bushing to steady the shaft?

artillerystevens 01-08-2007 01:24 PM

I forgot to post pics

2 Attachment(s)
.here they are...

KernCountyKid 01-08-2007 02:03 PM

You might need a heim.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eccSto...175-0757_R.jpg

johnsongrass1 01-08-2007 02:17 PM

While I've never seen a box like your before, As long as you shaft is under four foot I don't see any issues because I've never had probles before. Using a oversize heim will help but I don't think it's needed when using two joints. Three is a definite.

Centerline 01-08-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKSoda

No "MIGHT" about it! If you are using two "U" joints you will have to have a support otherwise it will bind. In other words, if you're using one "U" joint on the steering column and one on the steering box... you won't need a center support, but if you have a "U" joint in between the two you will have to use a heim support to keep it from binding.

johnsongrass1 01-08-2007 02:19 PM

Weld it up with the yolks 90 degree's and I never had a problem.

badA31 01-08-2007 06:06 PM

With a shaft that long there may be some slight deflection from normal driving vibration, but not enough to break anything. If you want to add a carrier bearing in just to make yourself feel better, then I suggest mounting as close to the center as possible. From your picture it looks like that's the best location to build a bracket from anyway.

badA31 01-08-2007 06:11 PM

I just re-read your post and I may have mis-understood you. I thought you meant TWO u-joints when you said "double". If you meant a double on one end and a single on the other then you will most definately need a carrier bearing as close to the "double" u-joint as you can get.
Go to Borgeson Universal's website and download their catalog. It has set-up diagrams.

artillerystevens 01-09-2007 01:12 AM

Clarification

Sorry about the wording... The shaft has a u joint at each end. I know this will work if there is no play in the mounts at each end.. at the steering box, and at the steering column. The problem I am worried about is that the mount on the steering box itself. It can flex up to 15 degrees or so.. I think I am just going to make that "joint" solid leaving the 2 u joints being the only points that can pivot. After spending some time at the shop playing with it, I believe that will work well.

Ed ke6bnl 01-09-2007 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artillerystevens
Sorry about the wording... The shaft has a u joint at each end. I know this will work if there is no play in the mounts at each end.. at the steering box, and at the steering column. The problem I am worried about is that the mount on the steering box itself. It can flex up to 15 degrees or so.. I think I am just going to make that "joint" solid leaving the 2 u joints being the only points that can pivot. After spending some time at the shop playing with it, I believe that will work well.

my understanding and experience is that you need to REMOVE the rag joint and make a solid u joint connection at the box. I then think you will be fine. There should be a spline joint under there after removing the rag joint. The bolt needs to completely removed to remove the joint good luck ED ke6bnl

badA31 01-09-2007 01:32 PM

Ed k is right on about that u-joint. If you look at the Borgeson website they recommend not using the rag joint on anything but a straight line application.
If you just go to one U-joint only, on each end of that shaft, then you won't need any more support in between. www.borgeson.com

artillerystevens 01-09-2007 10:32 PM

Thanks for the help guys, that is exactly what I'm going to do!

grandpaws 57 01-14-2007 04:54 PM

double u-joints

I just put a rack in,kit had support brg.[hemi] for center shaft.Works good!!