Doubts with a SC 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Doubts with a SC 350

Hello people,
Im in the process of restoration of my 65 impala ss, I replaced the old 283 engine with a SBC350+TH400 I had from another project. The car drives better now, but its still slower than my wifes minivan...and I just cant live with that!
I just purchased a new set of edelbrock e-tec200 cylinder heads and cam COMP 268H, a set of 0.3 pistons. My crankshaft is std and the compression with this seting will be around 10.5.
Now the idea to fit a small SC crossed my mind and Im wondering if theres anything else Ill need to replace in order to fit this? My idea is to run the Edelbrock 1553 (E-Force Supercharger Kit with 5 psi) but I dont know if a forged crankshaft and pistons will be needed to handle this? Should I replace this parts also, or will it be just fine with what I have?
Any Comments?

Last edited by gappelt; 01-12-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappelt
Hello people,
Im in the process of restoration of my 65 impala ss, I replaced the old 283 engine with a SBC350+TH400 I had from another project. The car drives better now, but its still slower than my wifes minivan...and I just cant live with that!
I just purchased a new set of edelbrock e-tec200 cylinder heads and cam COMP 268H, a set of 0.3 pistons. My crankshaft is std and the compression with this seting will be around 10.5.
Now the idea to fit a small SC crossed my mind and Im wondering if theres anything else Ill need to replace in order to fit this? My idea is to run the Edelbrock 1553 (E-Force Supercharger Kit with 5 psi) but I dont know if a forged crankshaft and pistons will be needed to handle this? Should I replace this parts also, or will it be just fine with what I have?
Any Comments?
If you have it apart you would be wise to change to forged pistons and shoot for about 8:1 static compression to be safe with the blower.
You will not be able to put a blower on an engine that is starting out @ 10.5:1 compression. Even at low boost you will up in the 14:1 area in a hurry and the stock pistons most likely wont live and it will be near impossible to control detonation on pump gas

Chet
Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

I hate to say it, but if it is a new mini-van, they are pretty fast, meaning that most v-6 engines with todays technology will put out 300+ HP. My neighbor across the street purchased a 2011 V6 Mustang and the factory rated it at 305 HP, which in reality is probably closer to 315-320HP. Nothing wrong with a fast mini-van grocery getter.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

As you said, I should get forged pistons, so did I.
A set of Probe forged pistons are on its way. Never heard from this manufacturer before, I just hope its quality is better than stock.
The compression should go down to 8.5.
Ill let you know how this goes.

Has anyone done a heat treatment to a cast crank? I heard that makes it stronger then std, not as reliable as forged ones, but still...

PS: I know mini vans are quicker this days, thats why Im working on my rides inferiority issues.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappelt
As you said, I should get forged pistons, so did I.
A set of Probe forged pistons are on its way. Never heard from this manufacturer before, I just hope its quality is better than stock.
The compression should go down to 8.5.
Ill let you know how this goes.

Has anyone done a heat treatment to a cast crank? I heard that makes it stronger then std, not as reliable as forged ones, but still...

PS: I know mini vans are quicker this days, thats why Im working on my rides inferiority issues.
Probe makes great pistons. Your crank will be fine as long as you get the tune correct and don't spin it over 6,000 RPM, which by your cam choice I would say is out of the question anyway.

When all of this is said and done you may want to look at your rear gears or stall converter. Those tow things are overlooked a lot and can have a very dramatic effect on performance.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Your motor sounds close to the Edelbrock blower motor. 507 hp advertized. I run RPM stuff in my car and it is one sweet running combo. Not the most powerful but truly a street runner. The E-tec thing should also be great with the Ed. 800 carb. I'd call them and get the exact carb they use. They spend a lot of time and $$$ on these to make them right. (I don't get a dime from Ed. by the way). 5 psi boost will work great on 8.5 to 1 with premium gas. The small blower doesn't build boost quite as quick as my 6-71 does but it will still give you a big block kick. I didn't look up the cam but if it is rated about 1500 to 6000 rpm or so it should be ok. I like a little wider lobe sep for blower stuff because I get higher vac at idle and part throttle but don't get in a dizzy about it.

You will probably need a 2800-3000 converter to make it really easy to drive on the street. A larger trans cooler is needed too. 15k pounds rating.

You need a good ignition. A billet style and recurve it so there is full advance at 2200 rpm, run vac advance of about 10 deg. 34 deg total. This will give you some decent mpg too, assuming reasonable right foot pressure.

3 inch exhaust.

A shift kit would be nice and I think you can delete the kick down on the T-400 too.

The '65 is probably about 3700 lbs so be sure to gear it so you get around 2200 at 60 mph. I'm not a fan of OD unless you plan on lots of just highway cruising, then we'll talk about it.

I think the van will be drafting you haha
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

I know its a endless list of pending "to do", but for now Ill focus on the engine.
My wallet is a little damaged after this recent parts order...
The TH400 was rebuild not long ago, so Ill just include a trans cooler for now.
Im also converting it to disc brakes now in the meantime the parts arrive.
The stall converter should wait for a while.

Whats the R&P on the Impalas axle? 3.4?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

heres a pic of it btw...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0250.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	51654  
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Wow! That's a nice 65 Impala you have.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

beside the High volume fuel pump, what other considerations should I have to install this kit on the engine? on the pressure "department" should I check or do something?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Make sure your connecting rods are up for the task. Also, use ARP bolts for the rods and ARP head stud bolts. You don't want to lift a head under boost. When you super charge an engine, heat is your worst enemy. A lot of guys try to do this on a shoe string budget. If you can afford it, the thought is, over kill on the fuel, if not it will lean out and detination will occur. This means, larger fuel pump, larger fuel line, proper fuel tank with baffles that will pool the gas to the pump. Engine oil, large 8 qt to help keep the oil cooler and also a remote oil cooler. Larger aluminum HD radiator with electril fans. I don't know if you can set up for an intercooler, if not, inject water/methonal. All of this will help with the heat issues of a supercharger.

5 lbs of boost is not a lot, It will not take you long after driving your Impala, when you will want to increase the boost, (It is very addictive) and if you can address the above issues, you will be able to enjoy your new found power and not have any worries.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

OK, thank you very much for your info, Ill keep that in mind.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

OK, while I was waiting for the Edelbrock guys to deliver the SC, I changed my order at summit for a forged crank and pistons to turn it into a 383.
Compression should be around 8.7 with the new pistons.

Does any one know how much rwhp will this end up with?

And also the OD issue crossed my mind, with the TH400 my neighbours Hyundai will pass me in the highway going 80mph @ 6000rpm...
Is there any electronic overdrive for the TH400?

I had a triumph TR6 that had this system on it, but never really understood how it worked....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

It's hard not to make 500+ shaft hp with a blown 383. Really really realistically 500 Rwh is pushing it a bit IMHO for street use. It can be done but you really have to have everything just right to be reliable. A water/alcohol injector will make it easier and safer. More expense..haha

As for the OD, the T-400 is a good choice with the right build and 3000 converter. An overfrive unit from GearVendors would work nice. They are about $2700. They replace the rear housing and are about 18 inches longer. Very durable and well made units. The diesel truck guys (1 ton) like them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.