Doug Nash 4-Speed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Doug Nash 4-Speed ?

Hey guy's i have a few questions. About two weeks ago i went to the station to get some gas in the T/A when i left the house i noticed the front of the car quivering alittle i thought it was just trying to clear itself out or the clutch trying to slip, Went to the station to get some gas and when i left and i left normal no getting in it any, Anyway shifted to second the thing just jumped out of gear went back to 2nd nothing went to 3rd nothing So towed it home just got around to pulling the trans can't find anything to the eye wrong with it i can put it in gear with the car off and hit the key and it will bug jump like it is going to start like everything is working, But if i start it up and put it in gear it won't do anything no gears at all. I looked inside the bell-housing can't see anything wrong but i haven't pulled that apart yet. So does anyone know just what can cause this to happen could it be the shaft in the trans or maybe the clutch. I can push the clutch down and can feel the pressure plate working and i can shift it and it feels like it is going into all the gears. Guess i am looking for opinions on what it might be. Could the shaft be broken and work like i said when it's shut off and i turn the key over bug jump and when started feel like it's has gears but won't move? Oh and it didn't make any kind of noise either. But i did notice when i turn the shaft by hand i hear a clicking sound but not real bad or anything. Sorry to ramble on

Cole

Advertisement

Last edited by eloc431962; 04-27-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

Clutch disk would be what I would be looking at, either the facing material has shed(had that happen before) or the spline portion of the disk has broken.

If nothing shows there a look inside the trans, putting it in gear with the side cover off and checking the shafts for connection from input to output shaft when in gear. If a shaft has sheared it should be obvious when checked with the cover off, or stripped teeth on the cluster gear or input.

First check would be to run it on jackstands and see if it will power the driveshaft, I have seen exploded rear axle spider gears fool my stepbrother into swapping tranny's, only to find when he got the trans swapped that the car still wouldn't move , He felt a little dumb and embarassed but we just shrugged it off and fixed the rear
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Eric, I was thinking the clutch also something don't feel right when i reach in and push on the clutch center it feels loose or something, I will have to finish tearing it down tomorrow and see for sure. I didn't check the rearend with it running but before i tore it down i did spin the wheels and put it i gear and it was holding by me turning them.

Cole
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
More for Less Racer

Cole,

Does the clutch pedal have less free play than it had before, like the throwout bearing is being pushed back farther?? When I blew all the facing off one side of the disc years ago it was fine until the shift to fourth, when I stepped on the clutch it came back up with almost no free pedal, and no power transfer at all just a little drag, enough to make the car twitch but not move. Pressure plate still felt fine, just the free pedal was gone, pedal set higher at rest than normal because the pressure plate was clamping a now thinner disk, allowing the fingers to retract up farther.

My misfortune happened at the Martin dragstrip here in Mi, I drove the car 75 miles to race, had to find a ride home that night . Got lucky and another guy from my hometown was there racing his Stang, got a ride from him but had to come back the next day and break into the track to retrieve the car with a trailer(Took the far-end gate off the hinges, they told me someone would be there but no one was, so we "improvised" )
Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Yep the free play went away. I just came in for the night started taking the bell-housing off man it's got alot of bolts in it all the way around got about 4 to go what i would give to be in my teens again or even my 20s or 30s or even 40 something man i'm getting old but before i started taking the bell off i felt the disc again and it's moving everywhere side to side up down i think it did come apart, But that's alot cheaper then a trans i will finish taking the bell off tomorrow my son is coming over to eat and i will surprise him get him to help get the rest of them out so i can really see what's going on. Hated to quit for the night but 4:00 AM comes early. Thank's for everything Eric i will let you know how it goes.

Cole
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Last photo:

Cole, I agree with Eric, but you need to sell the Camaro to me so I can fix it .

Vince
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Cole, I agree with Eric, but you need to sell the Camaro to me so I can fix it .

Vince
I would Vince but it would be like losing a family member, Not to mention everyone would probably disown me

Cole
Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Well Eric here's what i found when i finally got it apart, The center came out of the clutch . So now it's been awhile since i have bought a clutch kit so what do you guy's recommend. What's a good brand these day's? I want a good one

Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2125.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	45428  
Old 04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Well Eric here's what i found when i finally got it apart, The center came out of the clutch . So now it's been awhile since i have bought a clutch kit so what do you guy's recommend. What's a good brand these day's? I want a good one

Cole
Howdy Cole.

I have had great success with the Centerforce Brand of clutches. If you have changed from the stock gear ratio, you should not have any problems from 'shudder' when taking off in first gear, using their "dual" friction clutch set.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsavvycook
Howdy Cole.

I have had great success with the Centerforce Brand of clutches. If you have changed from the stock gear ratio, you should not have any problems from 'shudder' when taking off in first gear, using their "dual" friction clutch set.
Hey Stephen, How you been i was wondering about the Centerforce clutch. It's been so long since i had to buy one just didn't know which one to go with these day's . Thanks Stephen i will check them out. Oh don't be a stranger

Cole
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
More for Less Racer

Wow, first time I've seen that happen, what brand of clutch is it??

I've had good luck with the Centerforce Dual Friction also. McLeod also makes some nice stuff. I've had bad luck with Ram.

Make sure you surface the flywheel no matter how good it looks to get a fresh surface, and then sand blast or bead blast this fresh surface to "soften" the micro-peaks on the surface left by the machining process. The blasting recommendation came straight from a Tech at Centerforce, said it would speed the bedding-in process of the new disc and be track ready after only a few short spins around the block. It made sense to me as a machinist, and the three I've done for people this way worked flawlessly.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Last photo:

Glad you found it. I had one of those happen to me when I was in high school. I know exactly what causes it .

Vince
Old 04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
No substitute for cubic inches

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Glad you found it. I had one of those happen to me when I was in high school. I know exactly what causes it .

Vince
Honest dad I wasn't running it hard! I don't know what happened. (not when it broke anyway)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Wow, first time I've seen that happen, what brand of clutch is it??

I've had good luck with the Centerforce Dual Friction also. McLeod also makes some nice stuff. I've had bad luck with Ram.

Make sure you surface the flywheel no matter how good it looks to get a fresh surface, and then sand blast or bead blast this fresh surface to "soften" the micro-peaks on the surface left by the machining process. The blasting recommendation came straight from a Tech at Centerforce, said it would speed the bedding-in process of the new disc and be track ready after only a few short spins around the block. It made sense to me as a machinist, and the three I've done for people this way worked flawlessly.
I have only seen this happen once myself and like Vince it was years ago have heard a few others that has seen it a time or two. must not happen very often.
I don't know what kind of clutch it is , It don't have any numbers or name stamped in it any where. I guess i am going to call jegs or summit and order the centerforce Dual Friction nobody around here has anything like it just Duralast so far is all i can find And i will get the flywheel resurfaced also like you said Eric. Thank's for everything.

Cole
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Last photo:

If there is a clutch rebuilder in your area they can construct a super duty clutch for you. Back in the day we used to buy our clutch discs and pressure plates from a local clutch rebuilder. We brutalized our clutches and for the most part held up fine, I can only think of one or two failures.

I still think you need to sell me that Camaro.

Vince

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.