Down to bare metal but now what? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 04:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Down to bare metal but now what?

Well I have a 79 Trans Am and I have stripped the body to bare metal and now I wanted to prime it but I have never taken a car down to bare metal so I was just wondering if someone could tell me the steps you take to primer it. What steps as in do I use body filler over the car or can I just scuff the metal and then shoot it with primer. Should I use a rust preventitive.. What kind of sanding should I do? All opinions and insights are much appreciated because my car is sitting out in the rain as we speak. I know, I know but I don't have a garage and the driveway is my only option. Thanks...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:

by the book you are supposed to metal-etch it, which is basically hitting it with phosphoric acid. Then prime.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Last photo:

You will get varying opinions on the use of an etching primer, but yes the book tells you to use it on bare metal before primer. Personally if no rust is present I would hit it with a coat of epoxy sealer. Follow that with two wet coats of PPG K36 surfacing primer, then start wet sanding. You may have to apply several more coats of K36 and wet sand before you get to the stage your ready to shoot color.

Vince
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM

if new to painting suggest same as vince said. remember to clean & degrease right before priming. tech sheets available at auto paint store will help you plan work properly. when go to sand suggest dusting with krylon brand-cheap spray can or lacquer primer different color i have no compatability problems with different paints. dust each panel by holding can 12-16' away, twice as far as they say on can, only need trace enough to show shadow of color any color that shows up good (black for me)wet sanding with 220 on long sheet block or paint stick wrapped with sandpaper. this will show you high spots as they turn to primer color & dark spots show low areas. expect to reprime & sand numerous times to get it perfect straight if that is what you are looking for. if it is not straight when you go paint color it will not look straight when you clear practice watching for wet edge & overlaps doing priming as it gets more critical later & practice makes perfect JW
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Most paint manufactures have a self etching primer that you use as a base for your prime-filler. It works well, holds up, and you don't have to worry about any cracks or crevices that may hold
some of the liquid acid residue left over after you rinse it off.
I would sand the bare metal with 180 grit paper and then use a final wash before acid priming.
Being your working out side use a catalyst or epoxy type primer
as the type that you just add thinner to are porous and will allow
the moisture to sit next to the acid primer or if you sanded through anywhere on the bare metal.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

The proc3ess i follow is to wash the entire thing down with Comet and scotch brite. It will turn it rusty color. Then hand wipe it down with acid. OH, be SO CAREFUL. Glasses, gloves, long pants, crappy shoes
Then epoxy sealer/primer. Now build it up with K36 and go!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Your first problem is a bare metal car setting in the rain, Get it back to bare metal check every joint and crevice, as the rust will creep out.

Any filler that is needed should be applyed to the metal under the primer sealer..Then follow the other guys posts.

Oh yeh, it takes a lot of sanding. HTH

Good Luck
Troy
Old 09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

When you are finished, you should have fore arms like Popeye!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

From personal experience, If you can afford it use epoxy primer. There is also self etching primer which is a little cheaper. I have used both and found the epoxy primer seems to adhere to the metal better. Just my opinion from my own experience.
Skidmark

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.