Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Downsides to a chevy Vega?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I back haft'ed a Monza Town coupe which is the same platform as a Vega.They ALL rot out in the rear wheel well where the trailing arms attach to the body.It is a weak point.Back then I used a Don Hardy kit with a 6 point roll bar.I honestly don't know if don Hardy is around anymore.I spent a ton of time rebuilding the floor boards on that car.The Don Hardy kit jets in and out of the floor boards with the raise going over the rear end being a 2 x 3 square tube and then flipping over on it's side to the 3 x 2 side all the way up to the rear of the A-Frame supports.When you buy a roll bar you get a box of tubes none cut to size and you need to tight seam fish mouth fit some of the tubes.I had the car off the ground like 4' with the rear end out and perfectly level so all the ref points where dead on.The stock rear ends are a trailing arm with a pivot arm to the rear end off the back of the tranny.I am not 100% sure,but the Monzas did come with a 305,so there might be a crossover in engine mounts there you could use.

What became a standard joke in the shop was the articles about sub and tube in a weekend.The one we did we had three months into it working on it on and off.But be advised it is a hell of alot work.Of memory serves me correctly,the curb wt of that car was somewhere in the range of 2800lbs.

When we first got the frame rails in it,you could take a hammer and hit them and they would ring like a bell.As we put in more and more of the roll bar,that got less and less until it was just a thud.It's all about how well those roll bars tie everything together.Once done,I could take a jack in the center of the car under one of the frame rails and easily lift the whole side of the car up.

My advise would be for you to buy a proven roller from racingjunk.com.One fact never changes.You can never build one for the same price as one already done and maybe done better than you could.

Last edited by 1Gary; 12-05-2012 at 03:37 AM.