Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Downsides to a chevy Vega? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/downsides-chevy-vega-226795.html)

kentactic 12-03-2012 09:56 PM

Downsides to a chevy Vega?
 
Any negatives to consider when building a 383 Chevy vega for drag racing? I like the look, its pretty light, and theres a few in my area to look at buying pretty cheap.

vinniekq2 12-03-2012 10:33 PM

If the chasis has been set up for racing then they are just a body on a race car.If its a stock Vega you are converting,it will get expensive to make it safe

kentactic 12-03-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1618813)
If the chasis has been set up for racing then they are just a body on a race car.If its a stock Vega you are converting,it will get expensive to make it safe

Can you expand on that, i really have no idea what it takes to make it safe other then the obvious roll cage and other related safety equipment. Is the stock frame going to explode upon launch or what? :confused:

My crx had a front clip barely hangin on that ran low 12's maybe high 11's by my guesstimations. I ran a stock seatbelt in that sucker. how much work could it be? Remember now im building an 1/8 mile car.

This guy told me a stock chasis will be just fine HAHA!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....02592593095381


seriously though i dont know.

vinniekq2 12-03-2012 10:57 PM

faster than 11.5 and the tech guys will shred your car. roll bar and all safety equipment.
you gat get nhra/ihra rule book to see requirements.
stock Vega had a 4 cylinder pos engine. uni body design,brakes are fair,front suspension fair,
good luck with the Vega,I kinda like them,sorta,,,

kentactic 12-03-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1618816)
faster than 11.5 and the tech guys will shred your car. roll bar and all safety equipment.
you gat get nhra/ihra rule book to see requirements.
stock Vega had a 4 cylinder pos engine. uni body design,brakes are fair,front suspension fair,
good luck with the Vega,I kinda like them,sorta,,,

Unibody.... I didnt know that....sucks....

as far as roll cage i know a guy who can build it to meet all regulations.

OneMoreTime 12-04-2012 12:10 AM

Big downside on Vega's is rust..look carefully...

Sam

kentactic 12-04-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMoreTime (Post 1618828)
Big downside on Vega's is rust..look carefully...

Sam

Roger that

kentactic 12-04-2012 08:50 AM

Will fitting the 350 motor and trans require a lot of fabrication for instance a new trans tunnel?

dinger 12-04-2012 09:02 AM

There are kits available to mount the engine and trans. Downsides are 4 lug front end, rear end, and the availablity of parts to convert. Monza used to be the answer, try finding a parts car today. Rust, especially around the windshield and quarter panels, is bad.

Plus side, they are light, you don't need to get crazy to have a quick car. A good roll cage will tighten up the sub frame, I like the wagons, they seem to work better for the strip.

There are a few guys here that have Vegas, do a search to see what they came up with. I haven't seen a Vega outside of the strip for quite a long time. This is in Cal and you just don't see them.

OneMoreTime 12-04-2012 09:17 AM

It has been an age since I have even seen a Vega..and for that matter Pinto's are getting rare specially ones in any kind of shape...H'mmm wonder if those may be collectors based on few surviving examples in good shape??

Sam

kentactic 12-04-2012 09:19 AM

Ya im in socal. Found a guy selling a hatchback for $600. He says it has minimal rust, Good glass etc. Ill look into the kits.

prostreet6t9 12-04-2012 10:40 AM

There was a time that the Vegas kinda got old. But now you really dont see them very much. I hate to admit I kinda like them now.

A back halved pinto showed up at the track last year and that thing looks pretty cool.

delawarebill 12-04-2012 02:12 PM

vega for sale
 
if u might consider buying one and save a bunch of time and money??? i have a friend that has one for sale.. i think he's asking $12k for it..but i'd need to ask to make sure, if your interested.. it IS race ready and i think its in the 10 sec bracket.. 383 stroker, full caged and inspected. he taged it in maryland and sometimes drives it on the street.. trans brake and line lock. can't think of tranny or rear it has... like i said its ready to go now.. it's in delaware..
bill

kentactic 12-04-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delawarebill (Post 1619009)
if u might consider buying one and save a bunch of time and money??? i have a friend that has one for sale.. i think he's asking $12k for it..but i'd need to ask to make sure, if your interested.. it IS race ready and i think its in the 10 sec bracket.. 383 stroker, full caged and inspected. he taged it in maryland and sometimes drives it on the street.. trans brake and line lock. can't think of tranny or rear it has... like i said its ready to go now.. it's in delaware..
bill

Sounds nice but id prefer to build it myself. Plus i only have so much money a month to throw at this.

techinspector1 12-04-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentactic (Post 1618897)
Ya im in socal. Found a guy selling a hatchback for $600. He says it has minimal rust, Good glass etc. Ill look into the kits.

I'm in Hemet, where are you?
Where are you planning to race?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.