Hot Rod Forum banner

Dr-14

802 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OldSchoolChevy 
#1 ·
What would you guys charge to do a whole chassis and radiator support? The guyis bringin the paint. I need a quick answer plz. Its on a 85 c/10 custom.

#2 ·
charge him by the hour-that's the only fair way to do this work. If you want an estimate of how long it would take to do the job we need more info. What stage is the project in now? primed? cleaned? what kind of paint? long wheelbase or short? do you need to remove any parts?..... Bob

#5 ·
you have 8 man hours a day to sell. it is the only way it is fair. right or wrong , good or bad . if you work 8 hours you charge 8 hours. adjust your rate to reflect your skill. it's the way it's done. i would rather be cleaning my shop, or working on my own project than to end up working for $5 an hour. you spend money every hour your in the shop working. hope this helps.

#6 ·
You could be very well working for less then 5/hr if you don't charge by the hour or learn to. If he won't agree to it, send him somewhere else. He could possibly looking for someone that will do it the cheapest. There is a lot of area on a frame, brackets, ect to sand around and wouldn't be a cakewalk to paint under around everything and paint it nice with no missed spots You don't know how many surprises you can find and things not planned for doing this work. What kind of prep was done and did you actually get a good look at it? If it was sandblasted and free of rust pits, many would just shoot epoxy primer as a sealer and then paint to save on sanding. As this something he primed at home or do you know the story on it? If he did the priming ect himself, why doesn't he want to paint it himself? Just some things to think about. Just because someone said something is primed and just needs paint, doesn't mean its so. Tell him an hourly rate, and say he will be charged the actual hours put into it. Get material costs up front and set up to be payed by the week or every other week for big jobs. Like shine and the others said, if you are interested in being paid for your time, its the way to do it. Other jobs will come along, don't be afraid to say no if its not worth your time. I want to take a break myself (too many people wanting stuff done cheap, all my stuff being put on the backburner, not being able to enjoy my weekends away from the full time job), but now someone from work is hounding me to do some work I really don't want to do. Most of us have learned the hard road of many hours, little money to show for it at one time or another. Work is easy to come by if you are willing to work cheap. Don't go down that road unless you enjoy the work so much you don't mind working for less then you could make flipping burgers at mcdonalds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.