Hot Rod Forum banner

Drag Car windows

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  nofearengineer 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some ideas on how to mount lexan windows that can be quickly removed. The side windows will be attached to a fiberglass door. Can lexan be manipulated with heat? Is there a glue that will reliably attach lexan to itself?

#3 ·
The above post is backwards, Lexan is haetable and can be formed in a press brake and cut on a sheare.On the other hand plexi-glass is lower cost but brittle and will chip, crack and is not formable.
I have worked with this stuff for years. For adhearing Lexan I use clear silicone. I have made machine guards and even bullet proof windows with Lexan.For auto windows you can get it with a harder finish outer coating but still requires gentle cleaning.

#4 ·
sqzbox said:
Might want to try Plexi-glass instead. Lexan is very hard and cracks easy. Plexi-glass is more forgiving and costs a whole lot less than Lexan. :D
My experience is a bit different :) Bending Lexan in a sheetmetal brake is no problem (warm weather, not sure about the dead of winter).
Lexan costs quite a bit more than Plexiglass, at least it does around here.

#5 ·
sqzbox said:
Might want to try Plexi-glass instead. Lexan is very hard and cracks easy. Plexi-glass is more forgiving and costs a whole lot less than Lexan. :D
I've used both lexan (polycarbonate) and Plexi-glass for a variety of projects over the years. I've found polycarbonate to be more resistent to cracking than plexi-glass. In addition, polycarbonate tends to bend rather than shatter into sharp shards like plexi-glass. Yes polycarbonate is more expensive, but well worth it with the safety factor.

#7 ·
nofearengineer said:
I have built aquariums from sheets of lexan using methylene chloride. It is a solvent rather than a glue. It bonds the two pieces together into a single piece, rather than just sticking them together. It takes a little skill to use, but it is the way to go.
Can you advise if methylene chloride would be available locally? Do you need to take any protective measures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.