Hot Rod Forum banner

drag race air bag

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tony@AirRideTech 
#1 ·
Anyone here use an air bag in right rear coil spring for drag racing? I recently bought a pair of drag air bags but have not installed them yet. My car was squatting to the right the last time at the track. My question is...Is there any advantage to using both bags in the rear or is the one in the right rear enough? I'm wondering because I've seen it done both ways. Does the second bag allow more tuneability? Thanks.

#3 ·
I'll agree, but with a qualifier. If all you want to do is cancel the effect of driveshaft torque, there's no reason to install the left rear bag. But, there's a very good chance you'll want to raise the CG while you're at it, so go ahead and install that second bag. Just accept the fact that the car's gonna look like a male dog at a fire hydrant. The cool way to preload is to follow the example of the roundy-round boys: Add spring force at the right rear AND the left front. When you preload that way, you can keep the car lookin' good! Unfortunately, your car probably doesn't have weight jacks and/or adjustable coilovers.

#4 ·
BillyShope, How will adding both air bags make my car look like a male dog at a fire hydrant? I understand the analogy but not how it relates to both air bags. Wouldn't one bag cause the right rear to raise up but the second bag would only even out the rear. Right? Or did I misunderstand you? This is a street/strip car and I don't want people thinking I'm getting ready to piss on them, unless they are driving a Ford!...just kidding. Thanks.

#5 ·
68chevelle_ss said:
BillyShope, How will adding both air bags make my car look like a male dog at a fire hydrant?
If you're putting in both bags and you have the same pressure in both, all you've done is raise the rear of the car. Nothing wrong with that, of course, as you've increased the CG height and, in the process, added a bit more weight transfer. But, you've done nothing about the unloading of the right rear due to the driveshaft torque. If you put in only the right rear bag, you can preload the right rear, which tends to cancel the effect of the driveshaft torque. If you put in both bags and have more pressure in the right than in the left, you both increase the CG height and tend to cancel the effect of driveshaft torque.

But, whenever you attempt to cancel driveshaft torque by preloading only the rear suspension, you end up with the "lifted leg" appearance. With the roundy-round approach, you can achieve the same effect and (to complete the dog analogy) make the car look like a *****. (Whoops! That isn't a cuss word when you're talking about dogs, but I guess the administrator doesn't like it here.)

#6 ·
If the rear airsprings are done properly you should not have to increase the vehicle height in order to stiffen up the right rear. Like said above, make sure that your lines are seperated from left to right with independent fill valves. That way it will not share air from right to left when you throw the guns to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.