Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Drag Race Photography: Irwindale Speedway - July 2010
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Racing
This is what I do for a living most of the time, you have a great capture on the second and third pics, the first is a little soft but maybe you caught the wall a bit too much. You seem to be just abut at your final focal lenght. Some lenses have a "sweet spot" and that would be about it in the second and third. Any camera information ?? make model, lens used?
Hey Only Racing,

Thanks for the props! Photographing drag races is something I got into last year, about the same time I started doing photography. I'm a self taught rookie with a little over a year into it. In order to avoid the crowds in and around the bleachers at Irwindale Speedway (and because photography with a camera using a "professional looking lens" is not allowed from the bleachers), I do tend to stand pretty far down the strip. I shot the above photos with a Canon XTi and a Tamron 70-300 4/5.6. For editing, I used Photoscape. its free and I haven't come up with the dough for Photoshop yet. The Tamron was the first telephoto lens I bought for learning and sold it a couple of months ago. I'm in the market for a fast telephoto but boy are they pricey . I have also invested in the old Canon 1D. With a 45 point A/F and 8.5 fps, that thing misses nothing. Just haven't had a chance to go back to the strip with that one all that much.

That is pretty cool to run into someone on this forum who does this for a living. I do hope that, with enough practice, I'm able to make a little money on the side to at least support "equipment upgrades."