Drag Racing the '78 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Vetter

Wiki Edits: 0

Drag Racing the '78

When I first got my '78 Corvette, I didn't really have drag racing in mind. I mean, she's obviously a muscle car with power, but I just never really wanted to race her. But lately, I've become somewhat interested in drag racing. I'm curious how we would do down at the Englishtown strip.

But I don't know if this is a good idea. I'm 17, and I've never raced before. I can obviously drive the Vette, but there must be techniques or something.

Also, I don't know if I could convince the parents to let me go down there and burn some rubber. Mom might not be too big on the idea of that. Is there a way I could convince her? I mean, it is a controlled environment.

Suggestions/advice?

78SilverShark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

Dude, there's nothing to it. If you're not sure, go out there one night - usually Friday nights are for Test And Tune - and watch some guys. Be sure to pay attention to where the staging beams are, and how to act at the tree.

And it IS a controlled enviroment. You have to go through tech inspection first to make sure your car is safe and if you go faster than you're supposed to, they'll send ya home, lol.

Keep the rubber side down and stay between the gaurdrails.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I knew it, I knew it, your gonna tear up our baby man! You better just give the poor thing to ME and spare yourself the agony of never being fast enough no matter how much you got under the hood.

My theory, just wait until you're 18 and you can race until puke.

Seriously though, it's no big deal to go to the track on Friday night and see what she'll do. Tell your mom that she's invited and gaurantee she'll have a good time. Even if it means forkin' out some cash for a nice dinner (not Mc Donalds) afterwards.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Vetter

I will talk to mom about it. I really do want to go down there. It should be fun? It's getting pretty cold, how many more weeks are people usually drag racing here up in Jersey? When do they usually stop?

Thanks!

78SilverShark
Old 10-21-2003, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

I would rather have my 17 year old race in a controlled environment than to do it on the streets............After all, I know they are going to race it, whether I want them to or not. Doesn't matter if it is with a Vette, or in moms Accord......

You would get the speech about you having to fix anything that you bust on the car yourself. Racing a car IS harder on it than normal driving. Stop at the local track and get a copy of the rules. Prove to me that you read and know the rules. Also show me that your car meets all the safety requirements needed to legally race. I wouldn't have a problem with letting you go to the track, providing your grades in school are up to snuff. Dan
Old 10-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Might be a good idea to let Mom bring her car in case you...ahem...break something and need a ride home. Trust me she wouldn't be impressed if you were both stranded there.

Not that this happened to me and my Dad or anything like that. Sorry Dad, Holleys catch on fire sometimes..ya know?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Vetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ohio-Dan
I would rather have my 17 year old race in a controlled environment than to do it on the streets............After all, I know they are going to race it, whether I want them to or not. Doesn't matter if it is with a Vette, or in moms Accord......

You would get the speech about you having to fix anything that you bust on the car yourself. Racing a car IS harder on it than normal driving. Stop at the local track and get a copy of the rules. Prove to me that you read and know the rules. Also show me that your car meets all the safety requirements needed to legally race. I wouldn't have a problem with letting you go to the track, providing your grades in school are up to snuff. Dan
This is a good idea. I just hope she is as understanding as you are. Though contrary to popular belief, I have not raced the Corvette even on the street. Too dangerous and I'm worried about what would happen to her.

I will try to mention this today. I'm still a little nervous.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

YOU CAN DOOOOO IIIIIIITTTTT!!!!!!!

MoocH
Old 10-21-2003, 06:22 PM
Vetter

Thanks, Mooch.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.