drag racing suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 05:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

drag racing suspension

im building a chevelle for drag racing maybe street use once a week or so it weighs about 3400 lbs with me in it has a blown 383 with about 900 hp give or take a few i was wondering if anybody knew what kind of suspension i should run with this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Onwer Muscle Syndicate

Suspension

I would run either Airbags with a release valve to lower it back down or run those Moroso "TRIK" springs... and some 90/10 shocks

In the rear I would run Landrum mono leafs - they are some of the best (from what I was told) for drag racing..
Old 08-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Hey big, what have you done to the susp. already? 900HP is a lot and it's going to take some work to get it to hook up. I wouldn't go with an airbag set up since I wouldn't trust it with a total drag car, but maybe a street/strip car. Have you thought about tubbin' it, or at least mini tubs? What type of susp is on it now (coil or leaf)? Need to know how far you want to go with this and what you are capable of doing...
Old 08-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Onwer Muscle Syndicate

I agree with ^

I guess I got a little ahead of myself. I agree with him. I would give some serious consideration to mini tubbing it at the least. If all out drag race look into a 4 link maybe..
Old 08-26-2003, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

right now its just got the stock suspension the motor isnt even in it yet i am tubbing it so i was thinking of going with a 4 link set up or ladder bars i cant decide but thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Both of those are great set ups. The reason a 4 Link is better is because of the tunability of it. You can set up the preload for different track conditions. If you don't need to be that precise, go with a ladder bar set up. It works great, and a little easier to install.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

alright thanks a lot i think i am gonna go with ladder bars for now its a little cheaper and from what you say its easier to install thanks again
Old 08-26-2003, 10:38 PM

Re: drag racing suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by bigpimp2988
im building a chevelle for drag racing maybe street use once a week or so it weighs about 3400 lbs with me in it has a blown 383 with about 900 hp give or take a few i was wondering if anybody knew what kind of suspension i should run with this?
WELL WITH THAT MUCH HP AND GOD ONLY KNOWS HOW MUCH TORQUE MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO BACK HALF THE CAR (TUBBS) AND A WELL SET UP 4- LINK
Old 08-27-2003, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

I am going to agree with Billy on this one........ If you have anyhopes of getting that car to hook up consistantly, you should at a minimum, back half the car with a four link. I would stay away from the lasser bars because they will limit axle articulation you will encounter driving it on the street. You can run air on high horse power all day long. You would actually be benefitting yourself because it adds to the tunability with adjustable spring rates.

Tony...
Old 08-27-2003, 03:35 PM

I agree, Back half that beast. You'll be glad you did. Don't spend the money for just ladder bars and then be sorry later. With 900 hp. You have to have tuneability to get it to hook.....Thats my nickels worth..........GlennK
" Half measures avail us nothing"
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

thanks for all the help the car will mainly be a track car i might drive it to school once a week or so and on friday and saturday nights but for the most part it will be for the track i think i am going with the 4 link i just need to scrape up the money for it i still got another 6 months before i get my liscense so i should have time to get it built by the time its ready to be taken on the street
Old 08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Tony,
My Nova is back halfed currently. Originally, I wanted to run air bags (about 3 years ago), but your company said that bags would not handle the hard launch or the front end coming down after a wheelie. Like I said, this was 3 years ago, and it was at a little stand at a car show, so things may have changed since then. I already have all my suspension done, and can't afford to change it out now, but in being a hot rodder, nothing's ever truely "done". Can you let me know what kit is out there that would work with my Alston back half/4 link? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

In the rear its a no-brainer....... I would use our rear Shockwaves. They are pretty much a direct bolt in coil over replacement. There is no doubt they can take the heat. I have guys running these on 7 second diggers and on 6 sec pro-mods. I even have guys running these at the Bonneville salt flats. The front is what where you are going to be concerned but it wouldnt be with the bags themselves but more with the coil-over mounts. Those poor 1/2" bolts can only take so much and if you are really slamming the front end down after the launch that is where you will have the problem. But as far as the strength of a Shockwave over a coil-over....... there is no compromise.........

Tony...
Old 08-28-2003, 05:19 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks Tony, that's great to know!
Damn, now I really need to hit the lottery...too many damn cool things to get now a days...

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.