Hot Rod Forum banner

Drag Strip

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
Some buddies and i were thinking that we need a drag strip closer to home. The nearest one is like 100 miles away. So what are you ideas on building one. We are looking into doing this in about 2 years. Would 70,000 be enough **not including land** and what kind of special equipment besides timers would we need. thanks in advance

#2 ·
Well it all depends on if you want a 1/4 or 1/8 mile track. 70K will not cover either in my opinion. You are going to need a level track not only that length, but also long enough to stop. Thats a lot of money in hard surface. You would need all of the timing equipment and lights. You will probably want some kind of seating for spectators which will need to at a safe distance and/or protected from the cars. Not to mention you would want to choose which rules (NHRA IHRA Etc) that you will follow and provide inspectors. You will also need a full time safety crew for the safety of participants. Plus you need lots of equipment to keep your track in good shape.

#3 ·
Your biggest hassle would be insurance companies. Check with them first before even considering laying down some cash. May save you a tremendous headache to find out you can't afford it after the fact. I personally would be all for it. But it's a huge cash outlay and personal responsibility for your spectators and participants. Some one always is sue happy. Better safe than sorry.

#6 ·
we were planning on putting it on some old farm land. Tons of flat area. and getting it rezoned might be a hassle. but i think when we get it done (if). It will be a good attration. especially since no one has anything to do around here on weekends except drink. and it will also take a little of the street racing off the streets since anyone with a license and parental consent ( if under legal age) can get in and race. we were also thinking of adding a dirt track or a mud track for other attractions.

#8 ·
Just the TOP coating for the 1/4 mile track by me was around $150,000.00.
Now add in a concrete launch pad out to AT LEAST the 60' mark, sub-grade materials for everywhere, pits area thats just stoned, timing system, track personel, power service, drainage, 2 miles of wiring, WOW! Forget about lights,bleachers, fencing, bathrooms with running water, concession stands, etc., that make you money. Land cost?
You better figure on $800,000.00 minimum for a bare bones ,no frill track. I would say that a NON NHRA approved track would be 1.5 million minimum, with miminal amenities.
Good luck, though!
:thumbup:

#10 ·
I saw a program about a year ago on one of the hot rod shows about a drag strip on an old county road that may have been abandoned or something like that. It was nothing fancy but it seemed to work.

If I remember correctly this little strip was kinda famous, I saw a lot of nice cars there.

just a thought.

Maybe it was an old farm and the guy built his own strip?

I can't remember, I don't like getting old.

#12 ·
We had a closed down strip in our town for a number of years. We used to get hunderds of people and many cars out there. We were trying to organize something there, but the town and the owners of the land didn't want the hassle.

One day they came in with bulldozers and tore the place up.

That was about 1980. Years later, a candidate for mayor came knocking on my door, canvassing for votes. On his pamphlet he listed how he helped to close down the dragstrip back in 72. Needless to say, (I chased him off my property and let him know how I felt ................

This is a pic of my 55 at the old abandoned strip, note the "human Xmas tree"

#15 ·
That's a neat pic poncho :thumbup: , I'd also like to know what eng/trans was in it.

I'm still darn waiting for mine , the truck that was picking it up to deliver it to the docks broke down (yeah right :rolleyes: ) so it missed it's boat . Sat on the docks at Jacksonville now until 4th March and won't be here until the 22nd :pain:

#16 ·
Had vthye car from 77 to 92, 16 years. Traded a 68 Beaumont for it (wish I had it back too). Was a basket case.

Took a couple of years, put in a 69 Chevy 350/Muncie 4 speed/3.34 posi. Painted it white.

Later painted it blue. This is what it looked like in 92 when I sold it. I wish I had never sold it. I have only seen it once since I sold it....Want it back.

#17 ·
Do you have an old abandoned air strip around town? They were a dime-a-dozen during WWII and it is amazing how many are left. In fact, legendary Famoso drag strip here in Bakersfield is an old WWII air strip that the County of Kern owns and operates. The approach I would take is to take your case before your county/city fathers showing them the many benefits of drag strips in providing an outlet for youth, getting racing off the streets, an income venue for the government, etc. Check with NHRA and IHRA, I would be surprised if they don't have some promotional material that they would gladly provide you for just this purpose of promoting drag racing to resistant civilians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.