Drag Suspension for Hemi Ram?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 12:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Drag Suspension for Hemi Ram??

Does anyone have suggestions for configuring my front & rear suspension on my 2004 Dodge Hemi Ram? I want to lower it a bit and try to cram the rear tires down @ launch to the pavement for traction. I've been told to make new leafs for the back (3 new springs) and delete the existing bottom one and replace with these 3 new ones. For the front, Bilsteins 70/30's or even 90/10's. Does this sound right to you guys?
Let me know.
Sublime
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTX-@-Strip-for-web.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	6278  

Advertisement

Last edited by SublimeGTX; 08-07-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: forgot to attach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 PM

What's your budget?
How low do you want to go?
The cheaper way to go,and probably the best if you still want to tow/haul with the truck,is a good quality lowering kit using drop spindles and de-arched rear springs.Add a torque arm or a set of slapper bars to take care of spring wrap and you'll be looking and launching better.
If you want to go lower,you could go to an airbag setup with an adjustable
4-link rear setup.This suspension will cost quite a bit of cash and may require cutting and plating the frame over the rear axle.Also,you will need an onboard air compressor and associated plumbing.
Both setups will rquire new shocks.If you plan on using the truck as a daily driver,I woulddn't use the 90/10 shocks-terrible ride/handling on the street.

Good Luck,George
Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Hey George,
Thanks for the reply. I don't use it for a daily driver, just for week-end fun.
I never or ever plan to, haul anything. Budget-wise...Approx. $1,000.00
would be nice to stay with (give or take).
Old 08-07-2005, 02:43 PM

The airbag-4 link will probably be about 3 times your budget if you have it done,maybe only double if you can do it yourself-lots of cutting/welding on the ones I've seen.
Check some of the street truck mags for info on the many drop kits on the market-for performance use,stay away from lowering blocks on the rear,they add leverage to axle torque,causing worse spring wrap and wheel hop.
I've seen a couple of the gen II rams lowered 4" front/6" rear and they looked good-wheelwells filled out,level&low stance.If you go much lower, I understand you will have to "c" the frame-again,a lot of welding/cutting.
As for traction aids,either a torque arm or slapper bars will be a big improvement over the long,flexible leafs that mopar uses.I don't think that adding 3 more leafs to the spring pack will do much for your goals,unless it will lead to a copy of the old s/s springs mopar had for thier midsize cars in the 60s& 70s.I think they also needed a pinion snubber to work well.

George

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.