Dragging disks GM Combination valve - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dragging disks GM Combination valve

I'm using a GM combination valve on my disk/drum setup. It's the proper one with the metering valve, but I'm getting light front disk dragging once warmed up. I have adjusted the rod between the MS and the booster at least 6 times and am still getting dragging once the vehicle heats up. I even disconnected the vacuum line to the booster and still slight dragging.
My question is can the metering valve be adjusted at all so the disks get slightly less pressure than they currently have? Also I had a guy install the brake lines and he ran both front brakes off of a single front outlet on the combo valve. Would this have an adverse affect on the system? The other front outlet is being used for the brake pressure switch.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM

Try adjusting the rod between the pedal and the booster.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

That's my next plan of attack. I already had to cut about 5/16" portion of the threads off to get the linkage to rest without being preloaded into the booster. I'm thinking maybe as pressure builds it preloads even more. So next weekend I will be cutting another 1/8"-3/16" of threads off to see if I can eliminate the dragging. After driving awhile like this the brakes begin to let out a constant squeak which is quite annoying.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I agree with 46streetrod, this type of complaint is usually too tight of clearance between the booster and master cylinder. The front brake line issue you mentioned shouldn't be a problem. Also, make sure the weight of the brake pedal itself isn't pressing on the booster. Install a pedal return spring if you don't have one.

Regards,

Andy
Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Man I'm really having trouble getting these brakes dialed in! I drove it to work this week and after driving about 20 minutes pressure builds up and the brakes drag. Shut it off for a few minutes and it goes away for awhile only to come back. I have adjusted both rods all over the place and I either get pedal to the floor or full pedal stroke before solid pressure right at the end of the stroke, but that's when the pressure builds and causes dragging.

Am I supposed to have a firm brake pedal right at the top of the stroke? With mine I have about 80% pedal stroke with what feels like light vacuum assisted braking, but the pedal really does not get firm and stop until the very end of the stroke and thats when I get the pressure build up. If I adjust the rod ine turn off then the pedal gies to the floor without any stopping pressure.

Any insight is help is very much appreciated guys. I want to drive my truck?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.