Hot Rod Forum banner

Drain coolant from radiator

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Ed ke6bnl 
#1 ·
I have a coolant leak at the water neck where it bolts to the intake on my Nova.
I need to replace the gasket.

Has a griffin aliminum 4 core radiator.
Can't seem to find the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator in order to drain the coolant.

Any help locating this valve would be appreciated.

Thank's

#3 ·
johnsongrass1 said:
Why not pull the lower hose?

That was going to be my last resort.

But if the radiator does have a drain valve
I would like to go that way.

I know with my luck I yank the bottom hose
and I have created another leak when I go
to clamp the hose back on.

I don't know if that radiator came with a drain
valve or not. Maybe I am looking for something that isn't there.

#4 ·
18-FEVR,
I have Ron Davis radiator, and it came without a petcock. It didn't take long to get tired of yanking the lower hose off to drain it. So, I bought an aluminum bung, had it welded in, and installed a petcock. It must be something peculiar to high performance aluminum radiators. Maybe you have to specify wanting a petcock,
so they can charge you $75 more.
AngliaBob

#5 ·
Yep you gotta pull the hose.don't pull the hose all the way off at first.Pull it enough so liquid drains slowly.If you pull it all the way off you're gonna get coolant everywhere.What year nova do you have?got any pics?I love novas!!!BM

#7 ·
batman09 said:
Yep you gotta pull the hose.don't pull the hose all the way off at first.Pull it enough so liquid drains slowly.If you pull it all the way off you're gonna get coolant everywhere.What year nova do you have?got any pics?I love novas!!!BM

I was afraid I was going to have pull the bottom hose. Oh well. That's the pride of ownership.

Here's some pictures of my 72 Nova SS

Attachments

#16 ·
jeeptuff said:
Washington plates, are you in Wa. or KC???

I live in Kansas City. I bought the car from a guy in
Washington. He took the pictures two days before it
was shipped to me.

I finally figured out how to upload pictures to my
photo album. There's more details in the comments
section there.

cahillnnc said:
nice pics

Thank you

Nightfire said:
Got those rallyes tucked in nice and tight in the rear:thumbup: looking good!

Mike

Thank's Mike
Going through my second teenagehood
with that baby. And loving every minute
of it.:D

#17 ·
packratwrecker said:
Or, get a long piece of vinyl tubing, and siphon it out, through the cap hole, until it's lower that the stat housing. Less chance of building in an air lock.
I do the same with one thing added if it has side tanks I got a hand suction/pressure pump from Harbor Freight works great and suck the rad near dry I use it even when I have a drain it is easier once it gets started it will go to syphon to finsish up pum is about $7 works for me Ed ke6bnl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.