draining battery - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2004, 12:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy draining battery

i have an 87 bronco II 4x4 and there is something draining the battery everything seems to be off when i turn off the ignition can anyone help me please

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It's either a bad battery or something is pulling current. Get a volt / ohm meter and start tracing things down by pulling fuses one at a time until it is isolated. Do a search within Hotrodders and you will find a rather length discussion on this. I'm not sure of the exact posting right off. First thing though is to have the battery checked to eliminate that problem, then on to the V/O meter. Just saw this that Poncho had (sorry Poncho...Didn't see it until just now) Very good article... http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44184

Kevin
Old 12-18-2004, 10:32 AM

Last photo:

The first thing I would do is pull off the battery cable after your done driving it for the day. If the battery is dead the next morning then the battery is bad. I would also look to see how much spark it draws when you pull the cable. Be aware that battery fumes are explosive. Dont pull it toward the vent holes. Then I would get an amp meter and put it in line with the battery cable. A volt meter goes across the device being tested. An ampmeter goes into the line. You must break a connection and put it there. Watch the meter and start pulling fuses. When the current drops off that is the device running down the battery.

What part of ohio are you in. I was raised in Mason right next to Kings Island.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Born in Bellefontaine (home of the tallest point in Ohio, the shortest street in the US, and the first concrete street in America) then move about 19 miles south of there to Urbana which is about 10 miles north of Springfield, or if you drove up I-75 to Piqua, I am about 25 miles east of there.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
Born in Bellefontaine (home of the tallest point in Ohio, the shortest street in the US, and the first concrete street in America) then move about 19 miles south of there to Urbana which is about 10 miles north of Springfield, or if you drove up I-75 to Piqua, I am about 25 miles east of there.
i live in ashtabula n-east corner of ohio thats for the info on the battery i apreciate it.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:54 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

In Ashtabula, the lake effect snow automatically drains electricity out of batteries in cars that are over ten years old. The automotive industrial complex does that to the weather to stimulate car sales....
Just kidding. But look at Weather Channel this morning!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.