Dream Builds-Generation Lost??. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I'm in the midst of one of my dream builds right now which is a 455 Olds powered 4-speed 60's chevy pick up. It may just be an old pick up like Brian said, but it's what I wanted to rod and I've owned since the day I turned 18. I've sank some money into it, but it's mostly getting what I can that's fast - for the least amount of money possible - that fits into my dream. I knew I wanted something low to the ground with a stepside, an olds motor, a 4 speed and a bench seat. Right now I'm just looking for the 4-speed. It may be 15 colors right now, but I just wanted to build a cool hot rod truck.

My next "dream" is a quad-4 powered 82-92 Camaro. This year I almost pulled the trigger on a cheap but nice 2.8L v6 5-speed to start with, but decided to invest some money into my daily driver and get a new engine for it. I don't think any of my dreams are big show car stuff. Just a hot olds motor in a good looking chevy.
You picked the right era to do what your planning on doing, with 15 colors on your truck it would fit right into the rat rod age that we're living in today. Find that 4 speed, make the 455 go fast, get it running and enjoy...someday down the road...if you want, get color on it...but for today, just drive it and enjoy.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (04-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Have had and built tons of cars for the last 40 years,Street rods,Muscle Cars,Drag Cars,Circle Track,Off Road Trucks,you name it,never really big buck,do everything myself,even made Magazine arcticles with them,my dream build is....my next one,then the next one,I'd rather build than drive them,when I built a lot of Street Rods in the 80s-90s,we drove them to all the NSRA and Good Guys events all over the country,now I like to just build, and go to a few cruises,and start thinking about the next one!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
You picked the right era to do what your planning on doing, with 15 colors on your truck it would fit right into the rat rod age that we're living in today. Find that 4 speed, make the 455 go fast, get it running and enjoy...someday down the road...if you want, get color on it...but for today, just drive it and enjoy.

Ray
My plans exactly. Thanks for the good words of encouragement!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I'm in the midst of one of my dream builds right now which is a 455 Olds powered 4-speed 60's chevy pick up. It may just be an old pick up like Brian said, but it's what I wanted to rod and I've owned since the day I turned 18. I've sank some money into it, but it's mostly getting what I can that's fast - for the least amount of money possible - that fits into my dream. I knew I wanted something low to the ground with a stepside, an olds motor, a 4 speed and a bench seat. Right now I'm just looking for the 4-speed. It may be 15 colors right now, but I just wanted to build a cool hot rod truck.

My next "dream" is a quad-4 powered 82-92 Camaro. This year I almost pulled the trigger on a cheap but nice 2.8L v6 5-speed to start with, but decided to invest some money into my daily driver and get a new engine for it. I don't think any of my dreams are big show car stuff. Just a hot olds motor in a good looking chevy.
Check out the trucks I just posted in the "pocket mag" thread in the lounge You may like em!!!

Jester
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM

I've got my 72 chevelle. It runs real good and me and my wife really enjoy it. The 434 is a little on the radical side for the street, but it sure gets alot of looks from young and old. I've always wanted a blower motor, so later the 434 may get one. I'd like to put it in a 40's style body and put something milder in the chevelle for the wife. I like to build stuff too. When we started drag racing the only way I could afford to was to build everything myself. I learnt how to build chassis, body work and paint, wiring etc. Didn't have a choice. That is why I'd like to build an older car, it relaxes me to work on something like that. Working on this new stuff every day will drive a person crazy. Building a chassis or anything like that is satisfying. If I had the money I'd still rather build it. I've found out something else putting my chevelle together, quaulity has gone down the drain, and I'm talking name brand stuff. If I do build an older car I'm going to get on here and ask opinions 1st. I sent more stuff back that wouldn't work, fit, etc than I could count. I guess I've said enough, except this is a great site. I enjoy getting on here every night.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

You and i have this argument before lol, I think your looking at it from a pesimistic view point. While I agree, having a "dream build" is a good goal and something to look forward to, you still need to enjoy today while you wait for tommorow. If everybody waited for there dream build to come to fruition there would be garages and lane way everywhere full of unfufilled dreams. That's where the "cheap parts" and budget builds come into play. I can have my car apart for years and years while I spend money on the best parts which are generally overkill anyways (afr heads on a 350 with a 268 cam that will never see a racetrack) or I can research, find a budget head that will give me the performance I want, for a much lower cost, yes that includes 305 heads, procomp heads etc, and get my car on the road that much sooner. I think there's a place for "dream cars" and they are what we strive for, but rather then daydream about something most of us can't afford between kids, sports, home repairs, mortage's etc etc, we compromise, and we buy "cheap" parts, and we get our **** together and enjoy it. And to me that's what's keeping "hotrodding" alive. Because if my 300hp budget car works this well, imagine what 400hp will feel like, and now I have a goal, buy better parts next time around. And that's what keeps the market going, guys that get hooked on driving something they love, and wanting to do better. But that's the key, "driving"....not "looking at in the garage" ........that's My humble opinion.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 PM

I have a few ideas I wish I had $ backing to try/market. I would build a mid engine V-4 based on 1/2 of a 531. turbo charged,7 speed. SL as in super light.A body based on aerodynamics of a Lancair 360. bare bones interior with a final power to weight ratio 4:1
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

My problem is that I don't think I actually HAVE a 'dream car"!

For example - I have my '57 Chev. I've had it for 26 years. It has a buncha stuff done - a nice, healthy 350 with some goodies in it and a T350 trans, Super Bell brakes, 605 steering, etc, but to tell the truth - I'm still not 100% sure that I actually LIKE '57 Chevs!

My '28 Model A Coupe - MII front susp, triangulated 4 bar rear, etc. I have now had 2 "catastrophic failures" in the engine room, and it is parked right now - has been for about 7-8 years in fact - and I'm just not sure I enjoy it enough to ever get back to it.

My '56 F100 - I'm collecting parts for it right now. Have a 1970 Cad 500 for it, a TH400 and I'm thinking of which front & rear susp I want. It will have both front & rear independents, but.... Vette? Jag? T-Bird? I don't even have a vision for it.

My '65 Henway now needs brakes and has to be re-wired. Maybe someday....

So long as a car is extremely comfortable, reliable, quick, and has decent handling with great brakes, I don't care what it LOOKS like. I have never considered paint to be needed (or even desirable!) and body style might be a Model A, a 67 Mustang Fastback or anything in between, so long as it is NOT chopped, sectioned, lowered or otherwise modified from original body appearance.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
1Gary
It was mentioned that back in the day, you could get a vehicle to start your build for 50 bucks. Yes you could!!! But a 50 dollar project car in the day was a lot of money!!!!!

Jester
but there where TONS OF THEM and they didn't need 10k in rust repair..
% on that new car was spit.. if you even had a loan..
house was 16k and grew to 300+

lets take when I started working min wage was 3.35 it is now double that,, but gas cost 4x what it did then..
lost of places didn't require insurance..
junkyards where full of raw material..
no emission test to pass..
the % on a 16k house most pay more in % on there home in 5 years (30year note)than the whole life of the loan on that 16k house.(15 year)

parents didn't have to pay if their kid wanted to play ball. they just had to make the team.. and maybe buy the bat and glove..
garbage pick up was part of your home taxes.. now you pay those taxes, and water/waste bill and STILL have to buy town bags..
they now charge you x dollars for your kid to take the bus to school..

again even with the wage difference.. people had it made compaired to the taxes/billed and fee'd to death life of today..

I'd take the way it was in the 50-60's-70's with the lower wages and everything closed on sundays, than the crap we have today..

one generation bought a house and it's worth went through the roof..
no one will ever have that again.. even with the bubble.. that 16k house is still 150-240k today.. not bad..
my 137k house would have to go to 1 million to = the same upswing ..
home values rose, so did wages.. college didn't cost what my home did..
I'll take those years over what the 90's forward have been and time..
it's easy to build those dream machines when you have no bills, house is payed for..
thats not the case today.. the raw car to start with, and it be solid is a 4k and up.. the junkyards have been picked clean..
it's a totally different time..
my all time fav car is a 57 chevy.. YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT A BACKET CASE COST.. a 57 needing EVERYTHING.. is 4-5k
forget finding a 40 ford for under 10k
how about a steel 32 ford 15k might get you steel backet case
move to muscle cars wife wants a 68 mustang.. 7-8k for a ruff one..
back in the day you could buy a junker and work on it.. today. if it's in the driveway it needs to be able to move under it's own power and be tagged or the city/town will tow it..
the days of blowing a car apart and working on it for months are OVER. not everyone has a huge shop and/or a 2 car garage..
funny, wonder what generation came up with all these stupid rules..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 04-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post

lets take when I started working min wage was 3.35 it is now double that,, but gas cost 4x what it did then..
the % on a 16k house most pay more in % on there home in 5 years (30year note)than the whole life of the loan on that 16k house.(15 year)

parents didn't have to pay if their kid wanted to play ball. they just had to make the team.. and maybe buy the bat and glove..
garbage pick up was part of your home taxes.. now you pay those taxes, and water/waste bill and STILL have to buy town bags..

again even with the wage difference.. people had it made compaired to the taxes/billed and fee'd to death life of today..

I'd take the way it was in the 50-60's-70's with the lower wages and everything closed on sundays, than the crap we have today..

no one will ever have that again.. even with the bubble.. that 16k house is still 150-240k today.. not bad..
it's easy to build those dream machines when you have no bills, house is payed for..
thats not the case today.. the raw car to start with, and it be solid is a 4k and up.. the junkyards have been picked clean..
my all time fav car is a 57 chevy.. YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT A BACKET CASE COST.. a 57 needing EVERYTHING.. is 4-5k
back in the day you could buy a junker and work on it.. today. if it's in the driveway it needs to be able to move under it's own power and be tagged or the city/town will tow it..
the days of blowing a car apart and working on it for months are OVER. not everyone has a huge shop and/or a 2 car garage..

thank you for posting my response gearhead. and john long's post as well was perfect. love to know where you come from gary but for sure you got your shiza together if your so far advanced that you think what were doin aint trying.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post

I agree with much of what your saying and there is truth in every sentence. I can understand that it's tough and looking back, yes we did have an easier time getting the cars that are highly prized and sought after today. However, we didn't know that say for example a 68 Firebird or Camaro was going to a high dollar car 30 to 40 years after it was built, they were everywhere. Just like a 3rd and 4th gen Camaro and Firebird today, I think they even built more of those than the 1st gen or 2nd gen F body. Then in the early to mid 70's we had to go through a BS gas crisis...that took these cars that are prized today, off the road and as time went on, many got crushed.

I remember walking around the local wrecking yard in the late 60's and seeing 35 Ford coupes that at that time we weren't interested because there was better metal out there...not unlike a 3rd gen Camaro today with rust that gets squashed...because there's better ones out there and today...it's not worth saving....maybe a good investment might be to go out and rescue every Fox bodied Mustang, every 3rd and 2nd gen F body...30 years from now we would be a hero.

I do agree that times are tough for many people and then there are those people that Daddy set them up in a ride that you would need to save for years for and drool over. It wasn't any different in the 60's and 70's. When I was 12 years old, I started working for my father in his Gulf service station, pumping gas, doing oil changes and when it got busy, he let me do the basics of a tune up, change plugs, points, cap and rotor and he would do the final tuning. When it was slow, I got sent home, all for 50 cents an hour. I started working at the local bakery when I was 14 years old for minimum wage...75 cents an hour, I got up at 4 AM, worked until 8 AM, went to school, worked for my Dad when I could and when I was almost 16, I had save up enough to buy my own car...a 67 Firebird. That was in 1971, the car cost me a little over $1,000, do the math, that was around 1,500 hours of work and what got me P.O.ed was a friend of mine got a 1968, 427 390 HP Corvette given to him by his father when he turned 16.

So, yes, things are tough today, my family almost lost there $10, 000 home because there where times my Dad had a hard time paying the $123 a month mortgage payment. My parents still live in that home and it's valued at $167,000 today. Your right real estate has inflated but, are things tougher today...I don't know, maybe they are or, maybe they're just a little different.

We can focus on all the hardships and looking back is always easier than looking forward...myself, I'll choose the harder route and keep looking ahead and hopefully learn by occasionally looking back.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
I agree with much of what your saying and there is truth in every sentence. I can understand that it's tough and looking back, yes we did have an easier time getting the cars that are highly prized and sought after today. However, we didn't know that say for example a 68 Firebird or Camaro was going to a high dollar car 30 to 40 years after it was built, they were everywhere. Just like a 3rd and 4th gen Camaro and Firebird today, I think they even built more of those than the 1st gen or 2nd gen F body. Then in the early to mid 70's we had to go through a BS gas crisis...that took these cars that are prized today, off the road and as time went on, many got crushed.

I remember walking around the local wrecking yard in the late 60's and seeing 35 Ford coupes that at that time we weren't interested because there was better metal out there...not unlike a 3rd gen Camaro today with rust that gets squashed...because there's better ones out there and today...it's not worth saving....maybe a good investment might be to go out and rescue every Fox bodied Mustang, every 3rd and 2nd gen F body...30 years from now we would be a hero.

I do agree that times are tough for many people and then there are those people that Daddy set them up in a ride that you would need to save for years for and drool over. It wasn't any different in the 60's and 70's. When I was 12 years old, I started working for my father in his Gulf service station, pumping gas, doing oil changes and when it got busy, he let me do the basics of a tune up, change plugs, points, cap and rotor and he would do the final tuning. When it was slow, I got sent home, all for 50 cents an hour. I started working at the local bakery when I was 14 years old for minimum wage...75 cents an hour, I got up at 4 AM, worked until 8 AM, went to school, worked for my Dad when I could and when I was almost 16, I had save up enough to buy my own car...a 67 Firebird. That was in 1971, the car cost me a little over $1,000, do the math, that was around 1,500 hours of work and what got me P.O.ed was a friend of mine got a 1968, 427 390 HP Corvette given to him by his father when he turned 16.

So, yes, things are tough today, my family almost lost there $10, 000 home because there where times my Dad had a hard time paying the $123 a month mortgage payment. My parents still live in that home and it's valued at $167,000 today. Your right real estate has inflated but, are things tougher today...I don't know, maybe they are or, maybe they're just a little different.

We can focus on all the hardships and looking back is always easier than looking forward...myself, I'll choose the harder route and keep looking ahead and hopefully learn by occasionally looking back.

Ray
THE BIGGEST ISSUE is epa rules and city /town bylaws
take the fact of the raw material out of the equation.. we'll get back to that..
I built a 1982 t/a. It's tail pipe emissions was clean enough for a 1998 car.. in other words cleaner than any 82 t/a would ever be with the factory parts.. but because of the way the epa rules are it failed the emission testing.. why.. because of the a.i.r. system missing, the lack of a heatriser from the exhaust man to aircleaner, and my use of a holley projection 4. instead of the factory crossfire ecu and efi..
thats reason#1

next we will move to the city /town bylaws..we'll skip over the nazi's that is a H.O.A.
the same group/generation that build cars in their front yard,back yard driveway.. have forced rules that make it hard if not impossable. to drag a older car home from a junkyard and build it from the ashes..
that be reason #2
now, no ones saying that the 50-60-70's where easy times for everyone.. but look at what bills/taxes/fees there are now.. and what there was then..
you don't NEED tv/internet/cell phone so we'll leave those off and act like a persons a hermit..
today you have these bills/fees that not that long ago no one had..
school bus fee per child have 3 kids that can be over 1200.ooa YEAR
TRASH.. you by town bags to pay for the pick up.. that allong with the busing was part of your home taxes..
you used to have a hole in the back/side yard that your water waste flowed into that got pumped when needed today you get a quarterly bill for that waste to be treated.. on top of the water bill usage, they tack on fees if you use more than they "think" you should..
got kids, they want to play sports, pony up.. schools don't include these anymore ,it comes out of parents pocket..
want to be in the school band.. same deal.. pony up..
want to go to a public school vo tec. get out your parents check book..
you want power in your home, you get to pay fees and taxes so the welfare slob can pay zero.. same with your phone.. and because not many are hermits, you'll get hit again on the cellphone bill the cable bill the internet bill ,
the list is a mile long..
times might have been not always rosey back in the day.. but man I'll take them any day of the week over the way we are raped today..

I haven't removed the 305 in the c-10 because it has to be tagged, insured and move under it's own power.. or the town can AND WILL TOW IT!!!!!.. I'd love to pull it. and pick away at detailing the engine area.. but if i do..
I got 72 hours to get it back to running.. so it has to wait till the replacement engine is ready to go.. and everything else do detail,fix,repair under the hood.. and get it back running /moving before they say ding 72 hours are up.. we tow it..
and is the reason I'm building a metal garage out of the tent style garage framework.. this year.. those that have a 2 car garage still can blow a car apart in the garage,(out of sight,out of mind) as far as the town bylaws, unless they happen to drive by as you work on it with the door open.. then OMG..
times changed.. getting your hands on a solid raw material is only 1/4 the challange.. How many built their cars in a apartment parking lot, or alley.. try that today..

it kills me when someone comments that todays rodders are cheap.., always asking the cheapest way, etc..
most that comment like that forget that back in the day, you could walk into a junkyard pull a bbc or ford or mopar walk out with it for peanuts. stab a 80 buck cam kit in it. and headers.. and have fun.. as they where everywhere.. have any of these people that comment try'd to find and brand big block.. in a junkyard?? I dare ya to find a gen 1 small block 350 that isn't junk
my 454 core was 800.oo with peanutport heads, but it did run.
dream builds are a 50-190k car today.. not many with that kind of "means" for a "toy" also garage queens are so. 80's

Last edited by gearheadslife; 04-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your not wrong....and I agree...what do we do? I will say that in Canada we haven't got it quite that bad...yet.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Your not wrong....and I agree...what do we do? I will say that in Canada we haven't got it quite that bad...yet.

Ray
peopleare doing, just different.. they are builting what they can, with what they have.. it might not be the "dream build" but it's something..
and they are using them.. and thats BIG +
my 71 c-10 isn't my dream car to build from. but it's what I got..
and today, you just have to be happy with what you got..
as long as I get a thrill driving it. I don't give a crap if anyone else thinks it cool. or eve see's a mags page in print..
Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

What do we do? as a economic model..

Fail

Equity will run out.

It will be epic.

The 30-something of today is probably so enslaved with student loans , he will not be able to start life till 40. That will solve the overpopulation concern the Nazi's had.

I was 40 before my loans were paid off.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.