Dream Builds-Generation Lost??. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
What do we do? as a economic model..

Fail

Equity will run out.

It will be epic.

The 30-something of today is probably so enslaved with student loans , he will not be able to start life till 40. That will solve the overpopulation concern the Nazi's had.

I was 40 before my loans were paid off.
it's crazy..
my sisters college ed was 124k in 1997 money, don't want to know what it be today..
my house was 137k in dec. 1999..
it's now cheaper to buy a home than higher ed. that really isn't much good with no jobs..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

wow, you guys sound like a bunch of grumpy old men and i'm older than most of you...

spending thousands and thousands, by my math that could be as low as 4 thousand dollars, is frowned upon because why???
especially in a day when a new daily driver will cost you 10s of thousands of dollars.
i finished my dream rod a couple of yrs ago and drive it daily now
it didn't cost me 10s of thousands of dollars to build because i built it myself

my 20 something son is to me a true hotrodder, he buys what he can afford and keeps it running on his budget
his collection of cars is currently a 68 elco and a dd 86 suburu wagon that he he picked up for $400 that needed work.
he is currently hotrodding a $100 craigslist moped while living on the beach in hawaii for the past 4 mths
right now his dream is being a beach bum and living within his means

i'm nearing the end of getting 3 kids thru college with out any student loans, they all worked thru school
in my eyes if you are buried under student loans or have lost a home or vehicle, you are/were living beyond your means
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
peopleare doing, just different.. they are builting what they can, with what they have.. it might not be the "dream build" but it's something..
and they are using them.. and thats BIG +
my 71 c-10 isn't my dream car to build from. but it's what I got..
and today, you just have to be happy with what you got..
as long as I get a thrill driving it. I don't give a crap if anyone else thinks it cool. or eve see's a mags page in print..
Then at least your doing what you love...at most and best of all, your enjoying it.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Since it doesn't cost anything to fantasize..... :-)

In my younger years I helped friends build an A/Gasser and a Fiat coupe street rod. Personally I built a small fleet of Chevys, including several '56 to '62 Vettes, early Novas, a '69 SS ragtop Camaro, and some hi-po 409 cars! Some were frame up projects... and all solid lifter 4-speed cars.

During that time I was also running a part-time custom paint biz. When I went full time, I realized I just didn't have enough hours to build any more. Today I work seven days a week painting other people's outrageous toys, so I don't miss having my name on the title of my own toy. I have attached my ego to my work. :-)

Of course there is no cure for being a motorhead... so there are a few that I never built. I may start on them when I win the lottery. :-)~ LOL! Here they are...

'53 to '55 Studebaker Speedster coupe. Probably a prostreeted big block car!

I am forever a drag fan, so for my weekend racer I will need my favorite body style... a '33 Willys. I sat in an acqaintences AA/G coupe, and got claustrophobia... so I would go for chopped delivery bodywork, and push the seats back to get the steering wheel out from under my chin! Power might be an early Hemi, and 'flake paint would be a necessity!

A Devin Super Sport. These were Corvette-powered American cars that looked like Ferraris, built in the fifties by Bill Devin, a pioneer of the kit car biz. I helped with many many Devin projects, including a clone of a Supersport... the Cobra equivalent for Chevy lovers! I still have access to the parts and cars to make a set of molds.

My wife has already put in her order for a woodie, and I favor the late '30s art deco styling, so my first choice might be a '37 Chevy. :-)~

Of course all would require a fitting custom paint job and graphics!

While I'm wishing for things, I need to be about 20 years younger so I have the time to get these all done, and then enjoy them for quite a while!

Here is one of the Devins I helped to build. The SS was very similar to this body style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 009 (4).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	73120  

Last edited by TucsonJay; 04-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
wow, you guys sound like a bunch of grumpy old men and i'm older than most of you...

spending thousands and thousands, by my math that could be as low as 4 thousand dollars, is frowned upon because why???
especially in a day when a new daily driver will cost you 10s of thousands of dollars.
i finished my dream rod a couple of yrs ago and drive it daily now
it didn't cost me 10s of thousands of dollars to build because i built it myself

my 20 something son is to me a true hotrodder, he buys what he can afford and keeps it running on his budget
his collection of cars is currently a 68 elco and a dd 86 suburu wagon that he he picked up for $400 that needed work.
he is currently hotrodding a $100 craigslist moped while living on the beach in hawaii for the past 4 mths
right now his dream is being a beach bum and living within his means

i'm nearing the end of getting 3 kids thru college with out any student loans, they all worked thru school
in my eyes if you are buried under student loans or have lost a home or vehicle, you are/were living beyond your means
I don't know if your older than me or not but, if you've got three kids through college, we must be close tot he same age.

My favorite ride/rod I have is my 69 AMX, other than insurance, a tank of gas here and there, oil changes every spring I have a total of $1,759.38 in the car...I bought a real high quality fan belt for it a few years ago for $9.38 taxes in. I feel fortunate to have the car.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Since it doesn't cost anything to fantasize..... :-)

In my younger years I helped friends build an A/Gasser and a Fiat coupe street rod. Personally I built a small fleet of Chevys, including several '56 to '62 Vettes, early Novas, a '69 SS ragtop Camaro, and some hi-po 409 cars! Some were frame up projects... and all solid lifter 4-speed cars.

During that time I was also running a part-time custom paint biz. When I went full time, I realized I just didn't have enough hours to build any more. Today I work seven days a week painting other people's outrageous toys, so I don't miss having my name on the title of my own toy. I have attached my ego to my work. :-)

Of course there is no cure for being a motorhead... so there are a few that I never built. I may start on them when I win the lottery. :-)~ LOL! Here they are...

'53 to '55 Studebaker Speedster coupe. Probably a prostreeted big block car!

I am forever a drag fan, so for my weekend racer I will need my favorite body style... a '33 Willys. I sat in an acqaintences AA/G coupe, and got claustrophobia... so I would go for chopped delivery bodywork, and push the seats back to get the steering wheel out from under my chin! Power might be an early Hemi, and 'flake paint would be a necessity!

A Devin Super Sport. These were American cars that looked like Ferraris, built in the fifties by Bill Devin, a pioneer of the kit car biz. I helped with many many Devin projects, including a clone of a Supersport... the Cobra equivalent for Chevy lovers! I still have access to the parts and cars to make a set of molds.

My wife has already put in her order for a woodie, and I favor the late '30s styling, so my first choice would be a '37 Chevy. :-)~

Of course all would require a fitting custom paint job!

While I'm wishing for things, I need to be about 20 years younger so I have the time to get these all done, and then enjoy them for quite a while!

Here is one of the Devins I helped to build. The SS was very similar to this body style.
You did a pretty wicked AMX as well if I remember correctly...I never get tired of you posting that picture...but you know where my heart is.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
You did a pretty wicked AMX as well if I remember correctly...I never get tired of you posting that picture...but you know where my heart is.

Ray
That is one of the advantages of trading off my own cars, and choosing to help others with their's... and I get paid to do it!!! :-o

Another perk is that I get to do every kind of project... one of my favorite parts of a build, the paint... and the customer stuff numbers in the hundreds now! :-)~ Life is good!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
That is one of the advantages of trading off my own cars, and choosing to help others with their's... and I get paid to do it!!! :-o

Another perk is that I get to do every kind of project... one of my favorite parts of a build, the paint... and the customer stuff numbers in the hundreds now! :-)~ Life is good!
You Know Jay, when I was painting in a shop, I hated painting all of those belly button cars...I painted them, and they looked good...but if a car that I liked came in, for some reason the paint on that car looked a lot better...not that the other cars where bad, they looked like they where supposed to.

I became a Paint Rep and really enjoyed it...However, I still looked forward to the day that I could paint what I wanted when I wanted. Well that's where I am today and it is good. I do miss the interaction with customers though, maybe that's why I enjoy this site.

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I do miss the interaction with customers though, maybe that's why I enjoy this site.

Ray
That is another perk! Inevitably I become friends with my customers. Not surprising, since we all love the same things! :-)

I do a lot of the local cruises and shows too. It's just as much about seeing friends, as the cars.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I know what your saying Jay and the build that I'm working in now is from a relationship that was started many, many years ago by building a car for him. I do one or two cars a year now max. I guess what I'm saying is I used to talk to a bunch of different people every day and it's that interaction I miss. I envy you, your in Arizona and it's warm all year round and no doubt have car shows and cruise all year round...up here in Canada we are lucky to get 6 months of driving pleasure...the rest of the time we build our cars...I'm looking out the window right now at a foot of fresh snow and can barely see the house...LOL

Ray
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I know what your saying Jay and the build that I'm working in now is from a relationship that was started many, many years ago by building a car for him. I do one or two cars a year now max. I guess what I'm saying is I used to talk to a bunch of different people every day and it's that interaction I miss. I envy you, your in Arizona and it's warm all year round and no doubt have car shows and cruise all year round...up here in Canada we are lucky to get 6 months of driving pleasure...the rest of the time we build our cars...I'm looking out the window right now at a foot of fresh snow and can barely see the house...LOL

Ray
I have a very good friend in Calgary that is a drag racer. He sends me weather pictures each winter. I grew up in the Midwest, so I know how the cold feels, but it's a couple feet deeper up there! {:-(
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a very good friend in Calgary that is a drag racer. He sends me weather pictures each winter. I grew up in the Midwest, so I know how the cold feels, but it's a couple feet deeper up there! {:-(
And lasts longer...and longer...and you know what I mean...LOL

Ray
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 AM

Last photo:

As a baby-boomer I was brought up on US drag racing and always lusted after a Dodge A100 pick-up.

Living in Australia we never had them and by the time I could import one I was no longer allowed to modify it as I would wish.

In the end I built my own car based on a Mitsubishi van chopped into a pick-up with a 6.2litre Chev LS3 and 6 speed auto driving a 4x4 transfer back to a flipped diff.

I guess I'm into it for $10-12,00 and hopefully it will register this week as a 2013 owner built car. Pretty hard to get these registered (about 50 per year Australia wide) so that will be a huge achievement.

I did almost all the work from design to cutting, welding and mechanical fabrication. I farmed out the paint, the engine wiring and a small adaptor shaft in the transmission. All have given me trouble!

Like othere's said I don't give a rat's if no one likes it. I do and that what counts to me. I know my wife hates it but hey she hates me so what's new.

I'm living my dream righ now but wonder what I'll do when it's registered?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I saw the Little Red Wagon when it was actually used as a racer!

We need to see some pictures of your project! :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Rather than hi-jacking this thread here's a link to a new one I started.

Building an "Australian" Dodge A100 Pick-up

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.