Dream Builds-Generation Lost??. - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I'm part of the "lost" generation (I'm 15) and would like to point out that its not completely our fault. Some of the older folks make it really hard to break into the hot rodding world. No one takes us seriously, even though i live and breathe classic cars and my knowledge of them can compete with anyones on this website no one takes me serious cause to them i'm just another teenager. Basically all im saying is give my generation a break and do your part to help get some young people into it. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchaway View Post
I'm part of the "lost" generation (I'm 15) and would like to point out that its not completely our fault. Some of the older folks make it really hard to break into the hot rodding world. No one takes us seriously, even though i live and breathe classic cars and my knowledge of them can compete with anyones on this website no one takes me serious cause to them i'm just another teenager. Basically all im saying is give my generation a break and do your part to help get some young people into it. It'd be greatly appreciated.
I for one am glad to see the younger generation get into the hobby, as are many people here that feel the same way. I'm all in favor of passing on any knowledge that I have that might help someone get more firmly entrenched in this great pass time. I've been at it for all of 50 years (yes, I started at real early age) and I joined this site to learn. Even though I've had years of training in both mechanical and auto body, I learn every day and when I can help someone out, I do the best I can. To say that your knowledge could compete with anyone's knowledge on this site is pretty strong (there are a lot of people here that know a lot about classic cars, muscle cars or just cars in general). I'd be more than happy to give any generation a break, mine included, as long as there hearts in the right place. It's more about attitude than anything else. I sure hope that you miss spoke with your knowledge comment...because it's not a competition, like I mentioned, it's more about attitude.

Wishing you the best.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Trouble is.... the impression generated mostly is that most of the folks of your age group think a powerful car means 1,000 watt stereo!
Old 04-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well Dave, if it comes to stereo's, I think most people would know more about that than I do. I can put them in, make the hole in the dash fit perfectly, hook up the wiring etc. Anything else, I wouldn't know the difference between an Alpine stereo and a mountain range in Switzerland.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,093 Posts
Quote:
I think 90% of the folks on here are excited to see any young person develop an interest in classic cars, hot rods, customs or whatever. I believe if you treat your follow forum members with respect you will receive the same back. Like you I loved cars and mechanical things at an early age and am very thankful for the older guys who took me under their wing. Good luck to you as you move forward with your hobby and I hope you are blessed with the great friends and mentors I had.

The one thing I learned was most guys would bend over backwards to help me if they knew I appreciated what they were doing for me and valued their input. What they did not want was me trying to impress them with what I knew. Nothing is a bigger turn off than an inflated ego. I am not suggesting you are guilty at all. Only making a general observation.

Best of luck to you. Hope we here more from you.

John
Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Well Dave, if it comes to stereo's, I think most people would know more about that than I do. I can put them in, make the hole in the dash fit perfectly, hook up the wiring etc. Anything else, I wouldn't know the difference between an Alpine stereo and a mountain range in Switzerland.

Ray
And I don't even have them in my rides - except for the DD's that came with 'em - and those mostly don't get turned on!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210 View Post
And I don't even have them in my rides - except for the DD's that came with 'em - and those mostly don't get turned on!
Your more than 1 up on me...what's a DD.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 PM

young generation

Quote:
Im willing to share any knowledge with any enthusiast.
I have 3 boys,they like riding in the car but have no interest in fixing the car.
I had an airplane,none of my kids are interested in flying.
My youngest boy shares photography with me(Im learning from him) I go to all my boys games,hockey and soccer.
None of my boys do Judo with me?
Its tough to find common ground with young people,at least for me,,,
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Your more than 1 up on me...what's a DD.

Ray
Daily Driver
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry Dave...I'm just not that good at acronyms...I remember when B Ball meant Basket ball..BB is what a small caliber air rifle used for amunition...For a long time in the recent past I had no idea what PITA meant and not knowing was a pain in the A#@.

Ray
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:

U mean a PITA is NOT a flatbread?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Yup...not the flatbread.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.