Dream Builds-Generation Lost??. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dream Builds-Generation Lost??.

As I surf this forum and others as a long time hod rodder,leaves me to wonder if this generation has been lost to the bombardment of the cheapest low dollar parts market.That is all they know and if funds where available,they wouldn't know what to get.
When I was younger and well even now,I have always had a dream build I wanted to do.I don't see that kind of posts anymore.I think it has taken the optimism point of view out of hot rodding which that has been a cornerstone of what hot rodders are.We had always figured a way to get-er-done without compromising our dreams.

I do know of "some" guys on here that have thousands and thousands of dollars invested in their builds.But not many............

Maybe you guys could list what your dream build would be and how your going about it to prove me wrong.I sure hope so.My hot rodding is my everything and I do really care a ton which direction it's going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

These days we do not have the guys in shop class like we had when we were younger so they do not have the skills to make their own parts like we do. My dream has been to build and engine from scratch, from billet if you will. At this time I realize the time and resource to do this is not there for me but oh well I can do other things for an enjoyment and the enjoyment of the car hobby is where it is at for me. There have been times I have gotten fairly close though..

Moving on to the lounge area..

Sam
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
These days we do not have the guys in shop class like we had when we were younger so they do not have the skills to make their own parts like we do. My dream has been to build and engine from scratch, from billet if you will. At this time I realize the time and resource to do this is not there for me but oh well I can do other things for an enjoyment and the enjoyment of the car hobby is where it is at for me. There have been times I have gotten fairly close though..

Moving on to the lounge area..

Sam
THIS..

plus so many areas have rules of what you can do at your own home..

never mind that back in the day, you could get a vehicle to start your build off of for 50 bucks..

back in the day you didn't PAY for tv, PAY for internet, pay for a cell phone , and all the other fees they didn't have to deal with. vehicle rules where a lot looser..
also the old guards that laughed at the younger guys/gals cars because it was not to their liking, just like today and the whining about ricers..
today you build something nice, you can't keep it as some one will want it more than you, and take it.. or distroy it..
dream builds got the show car stands, todays cars get used..
cost of living is a ton more than it was back in the day.. even if you take wages into it..

look around, there isn't much reardrive cars out there anymore..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
V8 Super Beetle (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Now that the kids have launched, I'm building a 'glass 34 Ford coupe...Outlaw body, chassis and the rest to the nines. Put off for 30 years, it's my turn. I'm done with the engine mock-up and paint.... just waiting for the friggin body/chassis to arrive. Due in a week or three.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
As I surf this forum and others as a long time hod rodder,leaves me to wonder if this generation has been lost to the bombardment of the cheapest low dollar parts market.That is all they know and if funds where available,they wouldn't know what to get.
When I was younger and well even now,I have always had a dream build I wanted to do.I don't see that kind of posts anymore.I think it has taken the optimism point of view out of hot rodding which that has been a cornerstone of what hot rodders are.We had always figured a way to get-er-done without compromising our dreams.

I do know of "some" guys on here that have thousands and thousands of dollars invested in their builds.But not many............

Maybe you guys could list what your dream build would be and how your going about it to prove me wrong.I sure hope so.My hot rodding is my everything and I do really care a ton which direction it's going in.
Yeah, no.

Do you think it sucks that you are NOT forced to dream? You can go fast for a reasonable amount and it holds together just as well.

Last edited by spinn; 04-11-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post

I am not quite certain what your question is, or is it a statement?

As far as "dream builds" I am the kinda person I live my dreams. In other words there is very little I want, I an very happy with what I have, and that isn't much. Though to some other guy it may be a dream, and I respect that, and that is why I am happy with what I have, very happy.

On my dream build, it is probably what I have, my truck that I bought when I was 15. And I will be building it a lot like I dreamed of back when I was 15. I dreamed of the R&C Dream truck, and to me my truck WAS the Dream Truck. Now I plan on a build that is a lot like that R&C Dream truck, so I am building my dream even though it doesn't cost much, it sure as heck isn't some super desirable car, just an old Chevy pickup, and I am very happy to have it.

I chopped my truck originally, and wanted to section it, but that was over my head. It will now be chopped and sectioned. I have been an inline six nut since then and dreamed about something like a Corvette 235, that is exactly what I am building for my truck now. So I am building my dream build I guess.

Brian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (04-12-2013), Valkyrie5.7 (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

My dream car has always been a '33/'34 Ford Tudor Sedan - so 5 years ago I decided it was time to build one. I just got my upholstery finished a month or so ago and shy a few pinstripes, I'm calling it done. I drove it to local cruises last summer with bath towels on the seats for upholstery - it wasn't done, but I didn't care. I have always been in love with the beautiful curves of that vintage. The way the fenders flow, the graceful grille shell, it's just art. There are other cars I would love to own/build, but this is the one I always dreamed about and never thought I'd own.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I've built my dream car, on a budget. Although, there's tons of dream cars I would love to build in my head. I agree with the cost of living being stupid, and the fact that older cars, or at least the ones I'd like to build, are becoming rarer and more expensive. I would love to spend money on dream cars as I see them in my mind, but there are more important things in life. A roof over my head, providing for my family, health costs... when you get down to it, you're average Joe making a decent salary just doesn't have tons of cash to throw into a dream project. You certainly wouldn't be able to sell it and get your money back if you had to. For me, it's not all about me... I'd like to think so, but it's not.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Gary, your post leads me to believe you measure your dream build based on the amount of money you spent on it or the sacrifices you made to build it. I love my old cars but they are definitely not the most important thing in my life.

My dream build does not compete for trophies nor does it set records on the drag strip. It is a car that I did the metal work on. Polished the stainless, painted, upholstered and built for a budget that does not cause my family to have to sacrifice so I can feed my ego. I am looking for my next project. Hopefully a 54 Merc hardtop or convertible but my satisfaction will be in making a professional looking build of a 6000 dollar project, build it for 10,000 dollars and have it be worth 40,000 when I am done. I do not dream of being the best or most expensive but do dream of being capable of doing the quality work I see other craftsmen doing. For me it is the feeling of accomplishment of doing something with my own hands that meets my expectations and goals.

It is really cool if my friends are impressed.

John L
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
Gary, your post leads me to believe you measure your dream build based on the amount of money you spent on it or the sacrifices you made to build it. I love my old cars but they are definitely not the most important thing in my life.

My dream build does not compete for trophies nor does it set records on the drag strip. It is a car that I did the metal work on. Polished the stainless, painted, upholstered and built for a budget that does not cause my family to have to sacrifice so I can feed my ego. I am looking for my next project. Hopefully a 54 Merc hardtop or convertible but my satisfaction will be in making a professional looking build of a 6000 dollar project, build it for 10,000 dollars and have it be worth 40,000 when I am done. I do not dream of being the best or most expensive but do dream of being capable of doing the quality work I see other craftsmen doing. For me it is the feeling of accomplishment of doing something with my own hands that meets my expectations and goals.

It is really cool if my friends are impressed.

John L
well said..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
Bad Rat (04-12-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

My dream car would be a heavily modified exotic car that I can't even afford in the first place, something like a TVR Tuscan, one of many ferraris or porsches, one of a few jaguars or bmw's.

As for something I can actually build, I'd like my current Cutlass to have new paint and a sister hard top 442 next to it. I'd also like to get new paint on my 280z, and I'd do a lot of little things to the Solstice I just bought.

The mechanicals of a car have never really bothered me- the body work on the other hand... its something that gives me cold sweats and nightmares.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

1Gary
It was mentioned that back in the day, you could get a vehicle to start your build for 50 bucks. Yes you could!!! But a 50 dollar project car in the day was a lot of money!!!!! Back then I bought a brand new Galaxy loaded 427 high riser for 2600 dollars!!!! My rent on a 2 bedroom house and garage was $100 a month, a weeks grocery's were 15 or 20 bucks gas was 28 cents a gallon ethel! The average yearly salary was $4,960, an average upper middle class home was $16,000 A coke was 5 cents!! So $50 then would be comparable to what now??? I pay around $6 for a car mag now that I paid 25 cents for in the day: ROD AND CUSTOM LOL and it was a much better mag then (Not many adds) LOL

I bought a 79 Z28 last year in good shape for $900 a great project car!!

Gary:
LOL I'm old school and Build a lot of old mixed with a little new! I like the old school heads , intakes, Etc. I Like doing my own valve jobs, porting, building my own headers, Building and racing an old school engine with cast heads and putting the expensive crates & 383 chevy strokers on the side lines! LOL Mind you I build new school engines, and tune and install new school builds with cheep China parts customers want because they read the ads! The thing you lose with crates and cheep bolt ons is "HEART" it isn't in em! I think that's whats missing today, years ago you couldn't buy anything, you had to fab it, and you shared it with guys and they used your Ideas! Today you just buy it and bolt it on!

Something is missing when I build new school! Its just not the same! Its quick if you have the money LOL! its a bolt in! but part of me isn't in it!

But even at car shows I would rather see a nice clean home built nostalgia build with old school engines 283,440,289, 427,ETC,ETC,ETC, hilborn , or multi carbed, Mag or dual point with nice chrome ETC. that has heart and a part of the builders soul in it that he wouldn't sell it no matter what was offered!!!! Compared to billet this and billet that and billet serpentine kits that look cluttered and packed in! and they all look alike! I'd rather see a hot rodded flat head!!!

My dream build, is a street sleeper, Like I had in the 60s, old school that people think is a slug compared to the new skool, billet, they see all the time, like "2 lane black top" But the sleeper I had then was a 406 side oiler in a 57 ford LOL! Ive already stock piled most of the parts and it will be a High winding 302 Chevy with a 4 speed , Just need a good body it doesn't matter what! I always wanted to do it to a 50s Austin Healey But there are 2 many of those out there now LOL it has to be different but that's getting hard! Its all been done before! Its Just a dream I have too many projects going now so I probably won't live long enough to see my dream sleeper even started LOL

Back in the day aluminum heads and roller cams were being used and are old skool too, in my book !!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 04-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

My dream build was never something I couldn't afford, or that I would be afraid to drive on the highway for fear of getting a rock chip. I worked for 40+ years before it was a high enough priority (compared to house/home, kids, wife, education, etc, etc...) that I felt I could do it. Not just the expenditure of money, but of time away from those other things. Most of my automotive know-how (as little as it is), came from repairing my vehicle because I couldn't afford better cars, or someone else to work on them. My dream was to have a car that I always admired - thankfully that car wasn't a new Ferrari or I still wouldn't have it!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM

I'm like sedanbob ... got any experience( fairly limited ..lol) from fixing my daily drivers because I could not afford to or want to take my vehicles to the shop. Been saving for a while and my hotrod building days are just beginning .. I love it! I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a 1981 Z28 in great shape, just needed an engine upgrade(now a 383 and be driving it this summer ) but my dream is to get my 78 chevy short box pick up that I had as a kid, into my garage and rebuild it all myself. Maybe a nice big block who knows?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I'm in the midst of one of my dream builds right now which is a 455 Olds powered 4-speed 60's chevy pick up. It may just be an old pick up like Brian said, but it's what I wanted to rod and I've owned since the day I turned 18. I've sank some money into it, but it's mostly getting what I can that's fast - for the least amount of money possible - that fits into my dream. I knew I wanted something low to the ground with a stepside, an olds motor, a 4 speed and a bench seat. Right now I'm just looking for the 4-speed. It may be 15 colors right now, but I just wanted to build a cool hot rod truck.

My next "dream" is a quad-4 powered 82-92 Camaro. This year I almost pulled the trigger on a cheap but nice 2.8L v6 5-speed to start with, but decided to invest some money into my daily driver and get a new engine for it. I don't think any of my dreams are big show car stuff. Just a hot olds motor in a good looking chevy.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.