Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Drill Doctor
Thread: Drill Doctor
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Drill Doctor

I have a new/old Drill Doctor (750), I say new/old because it's new from lack of use but about 10 years old-that's how long it's been gathering dust in my shop. I can't get the thing to work, I watched the "how-to" video that came with it and that thing is just a joke, I have tried every setting it has but so far it's been useless. If I grind a bit so that the point is right the relief will be wrong, grind it so the relief is right and the point won't cut. It will grind a good cutting edge with the proper relief that will drill like a new bit IF there is a small pilot hole drilled first but if the point is ground correctly there is not enough relief for it to drill properly and the bit will get hot. I have for many years sharpened bits by hand and actually prefer this method on 1/4" or larger but anything smaller is more a matter of luck than anything else, besides if I could get it to work properly it would be a neat tool to have. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated but at this point I am considering a big hammer and a trash can!