Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - To Drill or Not To Drill (Carb Question)
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
Dear Mr. BG Tech

are there idle circuit slots on the secondaries of my Holley 650? I thought they were only on the primaries. They are not open to far. I checked that. they are one turn of the idle speed screw open - barely cracked open.....so it shouldnt be drawing air/fuel from the transfer slots. There is no visible raw fuel being delivered from the main metering boosters. I looked and did not see any while the engine was idleing. shall I go get a new power valve and throw it in there? It's probably only a 1 hour job to do right? I realize I will need some new gaskets also.

Yes even though you don't have mixture screws on the rear of your carburetor it still has idle, and transition circuits. There is a constant feed hole that drips fuel in, and then the transfer slots as the butterflies open. How much of the slots are exposed. I would not go just by where the speed screw is at. I'd get a new power valve, bowl, and metering block gaskets. Also have some good spray carburetor cleaner, and compressed air. Clean out all the holes in the main body, and metering blocks, install a new PV and gaskets. Then reset your butterflies and start from there.