Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - To Drill or Not To Drill (Carb Question)
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
i didnt know there were idle and transfer slots on the secondaries. I can pull the float bowl, and main metering block which the carb is still on the car right? I will do as you say. you mentioned compressed air for the main body. are you saying that after I remove the main metering block that I should blow out all openings in the "main body" of the carb? what about blowing out the metering block passages? Also, what power valve setting should I get. I'm thinking like a 6.5" or less right? last time I did a vacuum check I had about 10".

TAKE THE CARB OFF. It's only 4 bolts, 2 fuel fittings, and your linkage. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to take it off and do the job properly. This way you can clean everything out properly, and set your butterflies. You CAN'T check or set the butterflies with the carb bolted down. To pick a PV you really need to know how much vacuum the engine is producing at idle. With everything you've got going on right now you really won't know, start out with a 6.5. Yes clean out all the passages main body, baseplate, and metering blocks.