Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - To Drill or Not To Drill (Carb Question)
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG
TAKE THE CARB OFF. It's only 4 bolts, 2 fuel fittings, and your linkage. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to take it off and do the job properly. This way you can clean everything out properly, and set your butterflies. You CAN'T check or set the butterflies with the carb bolted down. To pick a PV you really need to know how much vacuum the engine is producing at idle. With everything you've got going on right now you really won't know, start out with a 6.5. Yes clean out all the passages main body, baseplate, and metering blocks.
is this going to turn into a "whole fricking carb rebuild"? I'm not ready for that right now but I will do it if that's what your suggesting. I would have to purchase a carb rebuild kit for $30 or $40, when I am planning on replacing this carb anyway for a larger one in the next 6-12 months. Or, can I just get the bowl and metering block gaskets and do that part only? Can I get just the bowl and metering block gaskets and power valve at my local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts or Napa Auto Parts or do i have to buy them from Summit and/or Jegs and pay shipping and wait 3-5 days?