Hot Rod Forum banner

Drill press clamping

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
I need to bore some holes that are accurate and all I have at this time is a drill press..what I need is a better clamping fixture to attache to the table of the drill press..I was thinking of something like a 4 jaw chuck bolted to the drill press table..do they make such a thing..?? the holes need to be centered accurately in the workpiece..

Thanks

Sam

#3 ·
I may try that one..i have a similar type now but it is "wiggly" and try as i may it does not get much better when I adjust it..I am getting the drill bit with a morse taper shank for this to eliminate the slop in the normal drill chuck..

Thanks
Sam

#6 ·
OneMoreTime said:
How about bolting or clamping this to the drill press table..

http://grizzly.com/products/5-4-Jaw-Chuck-1-x-8-TPI/H8042

that is more what I had in mind..

Sam

That would work and should be very accurate, it would just require a bit more set-up time. Actually that 4 jaw chuck is probably a good idea from a cost standpoint because it should be as accurate and stable as a good compound milling table and there would be no chance the part would wiggle around. I have to admit those cross slide vises like the one in that link can sometimes be a bit sloppy but I have that one and it has been pretty good, but then again from HF you just never know from one tool to the next. :rolleyes:

This may be more like what you need, this one would be stable enough even for a mill.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=201-2536&PMPXNO=953096&PARTPG=INLMK3

#8 ·
awert said:
I'm lost, I can see using the 2X cross slide, but how can the 4 jaw chuck be of much use????? Unless all 4 jaws are independently turned. but still not very useful without a lathe........
I use a 4 jaw chuck to hold pistons in my Bridgeport all the time. I f I need to mill any off of the top I clamp the chuck to the table and if I need to gas port them I put the 4 jaw in the super spacer so I can gas port above the top ring land from the side.

All of my 4 jaws are independent but I have seen one that was a scroll type.

Mike

#9 ·
Most 4 jaw chucks are independent and should work quite well to accurately hold a part on a drill table (make sure it is of the plain back variety however so it will lay flat) but the setup would be a lot faster and easier with a good milling quality cross slide table. This would be even more of a consideration if the part being drilled had to have multiple holes drilled in a pattern. If this is to be an operation that you plan to do often then using a lathe chuck, while it would work, could get to be a hassle.

#10 ·
He-he, my spidey sense was tingling. :D

A medium size 6" vee block works great for drill press work.

I've also used 4 Jaws and 3 Jaws for holding round work on the drill press, they are easy to clamp. It really depends on what you have laying around.

Vee blocks are quite universal tools for holding work on milling machines and drill presses, having good clamps is essential to avoid slippage however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.