Drill Press for the Home Hobbyist - Brands, Features and Price Range Recommendations - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
can I borrow it ?
Come 'n get it. And bring me some bits when you bring it back.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Looks like a fine choice.

Made in Taiwan is better than made in China.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy

Thanks! It is comforting to know that I made a good choice.

Thank you everyone for all the help and tips!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy

indeed
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Drill Press for the Home Hobbyist

Good one there. Nice find.

That should work very well for you. It looks just like the 14" Delta bench model press I have. Wouldn't part with that one either. I even have a Delta morticing attachment to fit the quill, so I can do wood mortice & tenon joints.

But back to yours. I see one thing you got to be happy about. Your table has been well protected from the "smile of shame" which is a semi-circle of drill marks that destroys the table top. Keep it that way. Always use a wood block under the piece you are drilling. Really worth the extra effort.

As to the table misalignment, not to worry. The table rotates all the way around the column, and the table rotates in its base casting too, so you can do more precision setups for drilling accurate holes.

I'd be glad to talk with you in real time so I can explain a few things about this machine. I know there must be a private messaging feature on here so we can exchange phone numbers.

Lets see you get that drill restored and in fine working order.

Aloha, oldebrush
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

really nice find, dont sweat that table, it adjusts easily and you'll be drilling in no time!!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:23 AM

Last photo:

Nice find.....patience is the #1 virtue in snaggin deals.You need to have a running list of items needed for your shop.And every shop is going to be different.The more you can define the direction your shop profile is headed....the better.By having several pcs on your list,and being ready to grab it,be vigilant in checkin your sources.......the pcs just seem to fall into place.

One thing to think about on your new DP......and all DP's is:The area under table is largely unused storage space.More than likely you're only going to use around a 12" range of table height.You can either build or buy......a wood or metal storage bx that sits on top of the flr plate.This is where you keep drills,attatchments,ect.It dosen't really increase footprint size......but makes a huge difference in overall shop storage.The once in a while you might need extra clearance between chuck/table.....move the box.

We get 90% of our drills/taps/dies from a local industrial bolt jobber.They carry as good a line of drills and stuff as any shop needs.Noticibly better quality than typical homeboy store(sLowes,Hobo Depot)...and usually cheaper.Look in your yellow pages or ask around at some of the body/welding shops in your area to see if theres a pro,bolt joint around.BW
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
"But how do it know?"

Thank you all for the compliments! And I did figure out how to loosen up the table and move it around so it lined up. Thanks!

Hey oldebrush,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldebrush
I see one thing you got to be happy about. Your table has been well protected from the "smile of shame" which is a semi-circle of drill marks that destroys the table top. Keep it that way. Always use a wood block under the piece you are drilling. Really worth the extra effort.
The DP actually came with a block of wood with bolts the attaches to the table, and the bolts are long enough to attach the custom parts tray below the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldebrush
I'd be glad to talk with you in real time so I can explain a few things about this machine. I know there must be a private messaging feature on here so we can exchange phone numbers.
Sure, will PM you shortly.

Hey BWS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
Nice find.....patience is the #1 virtue in snaggin deals.You need to have a running list of items needed for your shop.And every shop is going to be different.The more you can define the direction your shop profile is headed....the better.By having several pcs on your list,and being ready to grab it,be vigilant in checkin your sources.......the pcs just seem to fall into place.
Well said. Can't say I have a direction in mind yet, since there is so much I want to learn hands-on, and the only way to do it right now is to buy the tools and books for whatever interests me, and ask questions on here. The list is an excellent idea. I should get on that asap. And I have no problem waiting for a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
One thing to think about on your new DP......and all DP's is:The area under table is largely unused storage space.More than likely you're only going to use around a 12" range of table height.You can either build or buy......a wood or metal storage bx that sits on top of the flr plate.This is where you keep drills,attatchments,ect.It dosen't really increase footprint size......but makes a huge difference in overall shop storage.The once in a while you might need extra clearance between chuck/table.....move the box.
That's a great idea. I'll keep an eye out for a good box that'll fit on or around the floor plate. If I don't find one, making one out of wood wouldn't take long, and I can make it to suit my exact needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
We get 90% of our drills/taps/dies from a local industrial bolt jobber.They carry as good a line of drills and stuff as any shop needs.Noticibly better quality than typical homeboy store(sLowes,Hobo Depot)...and usually cheaper.Look in your yellow pages or ask around at some of the body/welding shops in your area to see if theres a pro,bolt joint around.BW
I almost picked up a cheapie set at the local Harbor Freight just to play with them, but thought better of it. There are several body shops in my area so I will definitely ask around.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
drill press, good drill presses, home hobbyist, home shop tools

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.