Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Drill press motor wiring
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427
AB does make frequency controllers for capacitive start motors also that work, and wont burn up these motors. Not sure how many others also make them. But thesee are not controllers that the average hobbyist would spend the money on, as there are cheaper options, like buying a drill press with pulleys to change speed.
Thanks 1971, can you share who or where 'AB' is?
How can I tell if my motor is a capacitor start or not?
I know some variable speed controllers allow the motor to start at full speed, then "dial down" to slower speeds. I would have no problem with that; I'm just looking for an easy way to quickly adjust the drill speed depending on what sort of material I'm drilling, without changing the pulley configuration.
Being retired, and a semi-professional 'tinkerer', and ameteur inventor, I work with wood, plastics, aluminum, steel, & cast iron to name a few. My drill bits range from the smallest numbers (#1) to 1" plus hole saws up to around 4".
Along with that, (being retired), I, naturally, want to keep the cost down (any possible sources for used controllers? IE: what else would use one?).
I hope this explains my needs better.