Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - drill press questions!
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
65 crusier man

Wiki Edits: 0

greetings
I used to work on all kinds of drill presses and lathes. I don't recommend the cheap ones because of excess slop i'm talking over 0.100" slop. powermatic is a decent brand. I recommend searching the web for US or European made. I am assuming your talking floor model and not bench model. If you want a lathe drill combo the Italians have a great machine in the states but its not cheap. don't go to Harbor freight for it all they have is junk! You'll have to research the pricing because its been years since i looked into these things.
yes you can bore 2-4 holes in aluminum. don't buy the cheap model you'll burn it up fast. this goes for the cutting blades too. you will need a floor model for this task and a 2-4 hp motor with low gearing or pulleys for boring slowly. use lots of coolant.
Yes you can smooth out the bore to fit into each other, sanding drums are the answer here, multiple sand grits.

Last edited by Joe johnson; 06-02-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: re read the question and suppling more info