Well, I had partial success. I drilled the primaries with a 5/64" bit and checked everything over one last time. When I started it up, the idle was about 200 rpm higher than before. That was a good sign. I wasn't able to get access to the analyzer this morning so I set it up the best I could by ear and headed to the emission station. The previous HC was just over 600 and CO was .6, way too lean. After the drilling, the HC was 472 and CO was 1.9% Soooo close but still too high on the HC. Limit on HC is 350. CO limit is 4%.
I'm reluctant to back the timing off any more without an analyzer for fear of overheating it.
The thing that sucks was when I was getting out of his truck, my foot snagged the loose weather stripping around the door and sent me to the ground bent over. Man I got some sore ribs. The truck has a 6" lift and 35" tires so it was a long fall! So, i'm sitting here in pain waiting for my friend to call so we can try one last time on his 5 gas machine before going through the testing again.
If it fails this time, either the cam comes out or 2 cats are going on. The machinist that suggested this came was an idiot in my opinion. He knew what my son drove and what he was going to do with it. Oh well, such is life.