drivability problem, SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

drivability problem, SBC

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to diagnose a drivability problem... rather, a couple problems one step at a time.

I built and installed a vortec headed SBC with L31 fuel injection in a 2004 Silverado.

LT4 Hot cam
Proform 1.6 roller rockers
Comp beehive springs

The computer was re-pinned and flashed with a V8 comp tune for that fuel injection.

I had a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gaskets due to a bummed lower intake... it has been replaced with a new manifold.

When the engine was put back together it fired up quickly without the aid of mt right foot, idled perfect... for less than a minute. Than it began to stumble, rough idle, was prone to dieing, couldn't idle in gear, tough to start and needed throttle to fire up, and if it could run while in gear it had no power.

Does this sound like the valves are too tight? like when the lifters are bled down the valves are closing but after oil pressure is built up the lifters pump up and the valves aren't closing all the of the way?

I know I need to get a better computer tune in there, but i can't start tuning until the mechanical problems are worked out. Any other ideas?

here are a couple vids. The first is the engine idling & reving with both intake vacuum leaks and assumed open vlaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yby9TFEfB7I

And this vid is after the intake manifold install, after the oil pressure is built up

Cheers ~Mykk

Advertisement

Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 10-08-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Even so I`m not sure on this. First off, get rid of the proform rockers, I would run stock rockers before I ran any junk from proform. I`m sure they aren`t causing the problem now but they sure will bite you later.
I would go back over the valve adjustment. At idle at first start up it sounds like it has a skip. I would check over the plug wires and be positive the firing order is correct. It idles as if it has a massive cam, while the hot cam is bigger than stock considerably, it`s known to have a smooth idle so this to a degree points to misadjusted valves. Lastly, I`m not sure if I understood your post correctly. If the changes to the computer system were made when it had a vacuum leak then it`s running off those settings which would work for a engine with a vacuum leak but not one without, I maybe way off on this, but trying to be open. I`m sure someone else on here can give you far more info than me on this. It appeared black smoke was exiting the exhuast which hints at a rich fuel mixture which also will be in the computers tune.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Thank you for the input.

The computer, although adaptable to conditions and has learning curves, Is a series of set parameters unaffected by the condition of the engine.

Your right though, it does idle as if it has a bigger cam.

Your under the impression from seeing my vids that the miss is ignition related? I won't rule it out, but I do have header boots on the ignition wires and have double checked wire placment on the cap.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

Fuel pressure is VERY critical. You need at least 55 psi to run properly.

There should be a shrader valve on the drivers side. Hook up a fuel pressure tester and see what you got.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.