drive line vibration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2002, 11:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Lightbulb drive line vibration

i have a 60 chevy biscayne with 2 pc drive shaft i had it balanced and new center bearing and univeral joints installed. but it still has a slite intermentant vibration at about 60mph any suggestions on what it might be.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2002, 07:29 AM

Last journal entry: some more body shots
Last photo:

Check your output shaft on the tranny. Drop the drive shaft wiggle the output shaft. It should be pretty tight if it's sloppy that could be your trouble.
Old 01-06-2002, 08:37 AM

I know this will sound crazy, but I had a 69 Camaro and found out by trail and error that if the driveshaft was not installed in the original alignment with the yoke it would vibrate. Unbolt the driveshaft at the yoke and rotate it 180. It's simple, it's painless, it's to good to be true, but hey, I know it worked.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:43 AM

[quote]Originally posted by biskwik:
[QB][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

THANKS I WILL GIVE IT A SHOT
Old 01-25-2002, 06:04 PM

You need to check the various angles within the driveline. A driveline will have an induced vibration whenever the angle of entry and exit are not complementary. A little hard to explain without a picture, but lets say that your transmission output shaft is exactly level and the input shaft of the differential was exactly level but the engine sat higher than the differential, the two angles at the u-joint would be exactly equal, one a positive angle and the other negative. The complementary angles cancel each other in rotation constantly and there is no vibration. If one of the angles is changed, say because your differential has moved do to twist under acceleration, you may get vibration. You can get away with the two angles being about 3 degrees different but not much more. The same goes for lateral alignment. Usually the problem is at the rear because the transmission is difficult to change, but the rear end can get lose. I know you said you had a two piece driveline, so this means that you also need to check the mounting of the center U joint. If it is in a rubber carrier, I have seen this get distored over time. I once had a car that had a rubber center section that I had to reverse every year or so because it would get distorted. The reversal would solve the vibration which was typically at about highway cruise speed. Very anyoing. Good luck
Old 01-30-2002, 06:47 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Dont forget the simple things.Trans mount soaked in oil?? Maybe kinda old. Also make sure no one droped a neeedle out of the u-joints. Its allways the simple thing that get yah.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:47 AM

In the last year I have been involved in 3 differant cars of this kind. They have all turned out to be bad bushings in the rear links. This lets the rear end change angle while going down the road. have a look at the bushings in the rear sup. ROY
Old 01-31-2002, 05:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

One common error when re-installing a drive shaft is over tightening the c-clamps on the rear universal/pinion yoke. This will definitely cause a vibration. The correct torque on these clamps is 17 foot-pounds. Just yanking on a wrench will over tighten them every time.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:15 AM

CHECK THE REAR BUSHINGS. ROY
Old 02-04-2002, 01:47 AM

A common mistake made on multiable piece drivelines especially early GM 2-piece is phasing. The u-joint caps must be turned exactly 90 degrees from the preceeding driveline section. try it --it might be the problem.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:16 PM

The problem with vibrations or harmonics inside your car could be plenty of things. Fromwhat ive read all the suggestions are bang on.But if this is still a problem check for bad wheel bearings or even a tire with a flat spot or out of balance. These things are sometimes overlooked, but i have been bitten by them both! Vibrations or harmonics are very difficult to pinpoint and sometimes you will swear that the noise is coming from the rear when really it is coming from the front.
good luck
Old 02-22-2002, 08:08 PM

one other suggestion...if it is an automatic trans, try taking the torque converter bolts out, rotating the torque converter either direction to the next set of holes, and bolt it back up...may sound stupid, but it might also make your vibes go away...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.