Hot Rod Forum banner

drive shaft

3K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  hemi joe 
#1 ·
hi there i have an 86 olds cutlass with the 305 th350 i recently had a vibration in the rear when coming to a stop or just starting resulting in no motion except in reverse if i put the car in drive the drive shaft does not spin i am assuming this is my problem what would be the most likely causes and how would i go about checking for them

thank you
blinky

#21 ·
Cole, Could you be thinking about where the sun shell(basket) is splined to the sun gear and retained with a snap ring? Could be the problem as this is a fairly common breakage point.

Sounds like the trans is coming back out of the car, something is wrong in-between the flexplate and the driveshaft. It's going to take disassembly and inspection to find the failed part. There is no easy fix. :pain:

#22 ·
blinky_1986 said:
so if we narrow out tranny and tourque converter what would cause my rear wnd and drive shaft to only have motion with no friction (being of the ground)
Sometimes friction between broken mechanical parts will drive each other when there is no load against them, but will not transfer any real power. Sounds like one of the hard parts(original shafts, hubs, geartrain) to the trans has failed resulting in all forward gears being lost.

#23 ·
ericnova72 said:
Cole, Could you be thinking about where the sun shell(basket) is splined to the sun gear and retained with a snap ring? Could be the problem as this is a fairly common breakage point.

Sounds like the trans is coming back out of the car, something is wrong in-between the flexplate and the driveshaft. It's going to take disassembly and inspection to find the failed part. There is no easy fix. :pain:
Thanks eric, Thats exactly what i was trying to spit out :D . I do think its going to be tear down time :sweat: Cole

#25 ·
hi there i dropped the pan today no large chunks there was a small amount of silver metal specks im thinking flush the trans and install new fluid and filter ?? generally how much metal is too much ?? also in regards to the u joint if i grab the drive shaft and try to move it in park i get a tiny amount of play is this normal?? and would it cause my issue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.