Hot Rod Forum banner

drive shaft seems to short after engine swap

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  firebird7980 
#1 ·
i swap a 350 chevy into my v6 79 firebird. now i cant get my drive shaft in it. seems about 1 1/2 inch to short. my u joint cap line up will my yoke but i cant get it to go over the yoke and i notice the slip yoke on front is all the way in agaist the trans. i am using same trans 3 speed manual and same rear end thank you.

#2 ·
Short drive shaft

firebird7980 said:
i swap a 350 chevy into my v6 79 firebird. now i cant get my drive shaft in it. seems about 1 1/2 inch to short. my u joint cap line up will my yoke but i cant get it to go over the yoke and i notice the slip yoke on front is all the way in agaist the trans. i am using same trans 3 speed manual and same rear end thank you.

If I'm reading this right your front yoke is in too far, as long as you are using the same transmission mounts, that front yoke should not be in all the way, you have to leave room for movement.

Bob

#6 ·
Is the back axle hanging or supported on stands?
If its on stands, move the stands and support only the frame of the car.

You can try using a pry bar to just get the u joint into the yoke. Once it gets clear and set into the yoke it will move back about 1/2 - 3/4".

#7 ·
I tied will axle hang and will axle on stand just will not go in I did have to switch bell housing may be that push the trans back just anuff for drive shaft not fit I guess I will just shorten it I read some post and it does should that hard to do thank for all the help

#9 · (Edited)
Drive shaft

poncho62 said:
I repeat......Is the rear transmission mount still in the same position....did it line up?
poncho I asked that once and you twice I don't know if he understands us. To me it sounded like he has the front yoke into far. But then it sounded like the back won't fit because it is too long.

I guess the lucky thing is, he only has to cut one end.

Firebird
If you are going cut your drive shaft, Have a shop do it so they can balance it right.

Bob

#10 ·
sorry for the confusion the trans cross member is in the same spot trans mount bolts right up to cross member i cant tell if mount is in same spot on cross member as before because i sand blast then paint the cross member the cross member has a oval hole front to back about inch and half i ment to long on the first post

#14 ·
firebird7980 said:
It doesn't matter we're the cross member is the trans is we're it is I Can move the cross member in an spot the trans doesn't move I have the frame mount for the engine in the holes close to the radiators as far as I can tell there is three different drive shaft
If the new bell was longer and the transmission is mounted further back in a different set of holes it will matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.