Driver's side brake light not working?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Driver's side brake light not working??

I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II, 273 engine, auto transmission.

Just recently the driver's side rear brake light and turn signal has stopped working.

All the other lights work fine. The driver's side front turn signal works. I tried replacing the bulb, jiggling the socket and wires, jiggled the turn signal lever, nothing has worked.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is?

Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 11:12 PM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:

There is a Wiki Article on turn signals which provides great info on how turn signal systems work and how to troubleshoot them:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ignals_work%3F

In my experience there are only a few possibilities for the particular problem you are experiencing.

Bad ground to tail light housing - With the turn signal switch in the center position, remove the bulb and probe the brake/turn contact inside the light bulb socket with a 12 volt test light to see if there is power to them when the brake is pressed. If there is power, you know all upstream wiring and components are working correctly, so you must have either a bad ground to the tail light housing or a defective or improper bulb. If not:

Bad turn signal switch - get a wiring diagram and find the wire in the turn signal switch plug that feeds the driver's side turn/stop lamp. Probe it with a test light to see if there is power present when the the brake is pressed (with the turn signal switch in the center position). If not - bad turn signal switch. If there is power, there is a break in the wire somewhere between the switch and the lamp.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

Bad turn signal switch

Joe G that was wonderful advise. I am so glad there are people on here that are smarter than I am. With your help I was able to determine the problem lies with a bad turn signal switch. I tried to order one at 6 different parts stores and no one even had a listing on this part.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a turn signal switch for a 65 Plymouth Belvedere II?

If worst comes to worst and I can not locate this part does anyone have an idea on how I can rig up some brake lights?

The law says you have to have brake lights, turn signals are optional.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Actuall there are no brake lights, there is, both rear turn signals coming on together from the turn signal switch. If you can get away with it run a wire from the right rear turn signal to the left and remove the turnsignal lever. untill you can replace the switch. Now like everyone else that cant get new parts carefully take out the switch and drill out the rivet and clean the contacts, then if nessessary solder any worn out contacts back up and carefully re rivet the switch back together. Only broken plastic is not repairable.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

P-Air probably nailed it. If you do find it is the switch, you are probably going to have to rebuild it.

Napa does carry one plastic piece. http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...tch+Repair+Kit

Salvage yard. Have them check the Hollander and hope they have a car with a switch which will interchange.

Ididit or Flaming River column?
Old 10-24-2009, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Turn signal switch problem fixed

The turn signal switch was not repairable or replaceable so I thought some might be interested in what I did to repair the problem on the 65 Plymouth belvedere II in case any of you run into this same problem.

To get the brake lights working again, I ran a wire directly from the battery, to the brake light switch, bypassed the turn signal switch, and connected directly to the rear brake lights. This idea worked great and I now have brake lights making it legal to drive the car.

To get the turn signals working I ordered part number 91062860 from Speedway Motors. This is a turn signal switch that mounts on the outside of the steering column with a large worm gear clamp. I followed the wiring diagram that came with the switch and direct wired the new switch to the existing lights on the car. I now have turn signals.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 AM

Christmass tree lights

If you did that then when you hit the brake your turning on the 4 ways. When you get your fitz all turnsignal from speedway just read the directions and keep looking for the proper switch. Again there is NO BRAKE LIGHTS circut. There are 4 turn signals, left position is the 2 left lites, right position is the 2 right lites and the brake pedel turns on the 2 rear turn signals through the TURN signal switch and the 4 way turns them all on. Good Luck
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
It's a dry cold.

Last photo:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/images/pdf/910-62860.pdf

Looks like he installed the right one. There is another version of this switch that looks identical, but does not have the provision for combined brake/turn lights.

HotRodMan, Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.