Hot Rod Forum banner

Driverside dipstick 3970010

8K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a thorough cleaning to find a number to identify my block better as I am still thinking it is a 1976 or 71. On the 4.5'' pad on the front I got a number c61173 853 k06 03 9k. And on the side in picture one I think it says (d f 1). In picture 2 on the left ledge at the back it says 3970010 K and the number 2 in a square. On the back behind the flywheel it says 939 and below 010. In picture 3 it shows 71 beside it driverside dipstick.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I did check already and in the early 70's they went to the side of the block I just can't figure out the code. I am puting up another pic of the other side.

jimfulco said:
There should be a date code behind the right cylinder head. Same place as the casting number 3970010, but on the right side instead of the left.

Attachments

#5 ·
Yes, I did find that spot ( the pad) and it had the number:
c61173 853 k06 03 9k - which I couldn't cross reference any suffix codes or engine ids.

Torque454 said:
Hi this is my first post. I found the date code and stuff on my 3970010 block on a flat spot in front of the cylinder head. There should be a small angled flat spot with writing stamped in it.

#8 ·
Thats the site i found. Thanks SSedan! Just for the hell of it I looked up the date on the 305 i bought to run in my pickup until my 454 is done and it appears to be made November 7th 1980 (K0785000) if i am reading it correctly. However that was the only number on that pad, i expected more. What is this targetmaster engine you speak of? A GM replacement engine? Could that be why this 305 doesnt have any more numbers on it?

#9 ·
Thanks all of yeahs, I won't be satisfied till I find out for sure with a cross reference of some sort. I can't believe that nothing fits with all the numbers I have taken off of it... Does this target place go by any reference or did gm have specific logged blocks out of a different pocket that they kept track of, if so how would someone get a hold of it.

Torque454 said:
Thats the site i found. Thanks SSedan! Just for the hell of it I looked up the date on the 305 i bought to run in my pickup until my 454 is done and it appears to be made November 7th 1980 (K0785000) if i am reading it correctly. However that was the only number on that pad, i expected more. What is this targetmaster engine you speak of? A GM replacement engine? Could that be why this 305 doesnt have any more numbers on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.