driveshaft conversion? 8 to 9 inch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post driveshaft conversion? 8 to 9 inch

Im just curious, Ive been told that I would have to weld a bigger yoke onto the driveshaft that connects to my 8 inch rear in order to put in a 9 inch rear. Does anybody know if this is true, or would i have to change my driveshaft at all to go from 8 to 9 inch. Also, the axle shafts are interchangable right? Just trying to get some final things down before i go ahead with the swap. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2002, 05:02 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Funny you should mention this. I just finished putting together a 9-inch for my mustang. Mine is a '73 Fastback with an 8-inch rear. I found a '73 MachI with a 9-inch for a donor. Everything looked good, and yes the u-joint in the end of my driveshaft from the 8-inch fit perfectly into the 9-inch. I may have just lucked out that both yokes were for the same size u-joint. I do know 'cause I saw it in a Ford Motorsport catalog that they make a u-joint with two different size caps to fit a driveshaft with smaller u-joints into a rear with a yoke set up for a larger u-joints. But what I did find out is that I need to shorten my driveshaft to accomodate the 9-inch rear. Don't know about the axles though, the 9-inch I bought came with axles.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:49 PM

Talking

Check with your local NAPA store. I use a NAPA 372 U-joint to connect Chevy drivelines to Ford 8 inch rears all the time. The two cross caps are different sizes to match the driveline from a Chevy to ford rear diff yoke. I suspect that NAPA must also have different U-Joints for other cross applications.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:44 AM

You can usually get u-joints with different size cups to make a mis-match driveshaft / rearend compatible, but you might have to go to a driveline shop to get it. NAPA might have it also. You need to check the axle bearing size in your rearend, they made a couple of different sizes. I wouldn't want to count on an 8" axle sliding right in to a 9" housing because of this.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys. My car is, you guessed it, a 66 mustang. The 9 inch rearend i found is out of a 66 mustang also, so its the early style small bearing kind, does this mean that it'll use the same bearings and reataining plates (i think thats what their called). I am currently driving the car around still so i cant really take it apart just to check. Also does anybody know it they will take the same axle shafts, they are both 28 spline and the same housing width. I guess ill just take the driveshaft to a driveline place to have it shortened/re u-jointed.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:49 AM

You might luck out here. Most of the bigger bearing housings were found in the heavier cars like station wagons, Torino's, etc. And I think most of the bigger bearings were 31 spline. That doesn't mean the high performance Fords didn't get the bigger bearings though. The only safe way is to measure the diameter of axle housing at the bearing end, pull it apart or consult with a parts guy who could tell you by the year and make of the cars they came out of.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.