Driveshaft fabrication - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2001, 03:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Driveshaft fabrication

Hey,

I have a 1953 ford with a 350 chevy / turbo 350 and stock rearedn. I was talkign to my uncle who has built a butt load of cars and he says i could probably get like a driveshaft with one end for the turbo 350 thats longer than i need and cut it and weld on teh piece for the reaer-end. He said if i was careful i coudl probabyl get away with not having it balanced.

What do you think? I have a lincon arc welder? IT seems possible and do-able. I mean i m not drag racing this thing. Its just a cruiser. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jordan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2001, 09:52 PM

I have done several drive shafts that way and had good success. if you do get vibration you can balance it by trial and error by using a hose clamp on the shaft. get one that is just long enough so there is not a long end sticking out. Put the clamp close to the ends and you may need more than one.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:39 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

For every success story with a homemade drive shaft i will show you 25 that did not work and caused damage to pinion bearings,vibrations,broke and tore the floor up and eats u-joints. Could you get away with it ?? Maybe.. but if you had a driveshaft made you would not beleive how much smoother your ride car /truck would be. Save your pennys and have it cut by a driveline shop.Around here i buy brand new balanced driveshafts for 185-240 depending on the application(thats with joints and a new yoke) Cut rebalance about 100 bucks so....i allways go new.Like i said you wont beleive the diff,plus your going to have to be a pretty good weldor to stick weld a shaft. Dont forget to take a tape measure with yah to the wreckin yard...sometimes you do find the correct length. Good Luck
Old 12-31-2001, 08:12 AM

Phat is right on the money with this one. A reputable driveshaft builder is the best insurance yet. Denny`s driveshafts is in my book, one of the best, Give em a shout.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.