Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Driveshaft hitting the tunnel
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Driveshaft hitting the tunnel

I have a 1980 Volvo 265 with a Chevy 4.3 and 700r4 in it. The rear end is a Dana 30. Has a custom made drive shaft. If you put very much weight in the car, like a person or two, and take off very hard or accelerate too much, there is a loud noise inside the car and today i discovered that it is the drive shaft rubbing the inside of the trans/drive shaft tunnel, on the passengers side in the rear. I don't really know how to go about solving this issue?

With no one in the car there is a lot of space between the drive shaft and the tunnel (a couple inches), but add some weight and that space quickly diminishes. I guess the springs are too soft or something? They are coils, front and rear. I doubt new springs would solve the issue as it doesn't really seem to be sagging, it just has alot of bounce to it. I am thinking that i need to make or buy some spring spacers to raise the back end of the car a little, or have a drive shaft with a smaller tube made? or perhaps have one made that telescopes in the back half so that the back part would be much smaller than the current tube.

This is all i can really come up with. Any other ideas or suggestions?