driveshaft ? needs shortend - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 11:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

driveshaft ? needs shortend

Posting this for a friends 66.

mabe someone else has already figured this out ?
i have a 66 c-10 chevy truck with 350 and going from a 3 speed to a 4 speed muncie need a shorter drive shaft . any idea any that will
fit, before i dig though junk yards or have one made.
its a long bed
any help guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I put a shorter transmission in a ford I had. I found a small machine shop that would make a longer shaft for me. What he told me to do was find a really long shaft from something that had the same O.D. as mine. He then removed my ends and added them to the longer shaft (cut to the length I needed) and balanced it.

I got the junk shaft basically free from a salvage yard where I was buying a lot of other parts. The machine shop only charged me $50 to do the work.

The shaft has been in the truck for several years now.

However, if someone knows what will bolt in, you would be better off. I know that is what you are really looking for. That would be the easiest for sure.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Last photo:

Driveshaft

Should cost $50-60 to shorten and rebalance talk to the folks at the driveline shop they can instruct you on taking proper measurements before they do the work.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If the guy has a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing, the front shaft is short enough to cut & reweld yourself. Short shafts usually don't need balancing on all the ones I've done in 30 years. If you are running 4:11 or 4:56, then get it balanced. Also, the longer the shaft is, the more critical it is for balance.

I use a cut-off wheel on a 4-1/2 angle grinder to cut through just the outer tube right at the edge of the weld. Don't go too deep. After you get it apart, you will see that the yoke part goes into the tube to keep things aligned. I also use a long metal carpenters level for a flat surface to place over the u-joint flat spots on the front & rear of the shaft. That's to keep both joints perfectly in plane which is important. You just need to use that straight edge to make sure both u-joint flat spots are not tilted in any direction.

Some will flame this post, but they probably never saw a drive shaft place put a new shaft together! It ain't rocket science; they just whack the new yoke into a perfectly cut tube and weld it.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

A good hacksaw with a good quality blade tends to work well to do the cut F8J mentioned. As he said just cut through the tube right next to the original weld.

I usually use a ring compressor (One of the band kind that clamps down) to mark the cut line and act as a guide for the saw blade. Take your time and make a good square cut. This Method was first shown to me by JD Fikes in Texas 35 years ago. I have had pretty good luck with this only having one out of about 20 that I have done vibrate.

Mark the end you cut off and the tube to make sure it stays in phase when you weld it back together.

The other option is to do as someone else mentioned and take it to a drive shaft shop.

If I am not mistaken I believe that the Muncie (car) 4 speed with bellhousing attatched is the same length as a turbo 350. you might check the wrecking yards with tape measure in hand before cutting.
Up to 72 might work as far as years go. The turbo 350 does come in at least 3 different lengths though.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, we found a bigger OD tube that i think might can be lengthend and balanced from a local shop. The one he had was a small od. He did think about cutting it himself at first but a little leary. Thanks again.

Last edited by badriand; 07-01-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 AM

Last photo:

The only way a tube can be properly lengthened is to replace it with a longer tube.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

AS far as I know, the new shaft has to be he same size OD for your old end parts to fit back into it snugly. That is what keeps them aligned straight for balancing.

It seems to me, if the shaft has a bigger OD, the ID won't fit your ends.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

I believe what he said was that he found a large tube driveshaft that he intended to have lengthened.

This looks like a case where the best solution is to tow the car to a driveshaft shop and say "there it is, do it".

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.